The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Anyone want to join me in a rerun?

My recent rewatching of the LotR movies was mildly enjoyable, but the greatest effect it had on me was to awake my desire to reread the books once more. I don't have a schedule for doing that regularly, though I know some of you do. At any rate, it would be fun to share in these discussions again - 3 1/2 years after they began, 2 years after they finished.

The threads have remained open, so anyone is welcome to post at any time, of course. Still, a one-sided discussion is not much fun, so I'd like to invite those who are interested to join me in going through LotR chapter by chapter again.

Some of the threads are very long, especially the first ones. I would suggest that, in this case, it is not necessary to read all posts in order to participate. We'll just start anew, and of course those who are interested and have time can go back and see what others posted the first time around.

There will be no set schedule, and I will not repeat my introductions. You are welcome to reread them to get into the mood, if you wish.

To get the threads in the right order, just go to the Chapter-by-Chapter sub-forum's main page and click on the "Thread" (not "Thread starter") link at the top left side. LotR Foreword will then be at the top of the page, followed by the Prologue and further chapters.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Palantir-Green

A grand idea Esty. I will certainly do my best to fit it in with my, quite frankly, mostly empty time table.
Should we start with The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit?

It would probably be best for those joining the discussion this time around to re-read what has already been said, commented on and so on in the threads. We don't want to be repeating ourselves. Reiteration is sometimes good, but it can only go so far.
However, this will add MORE reading to the schedule.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Though I normally advocate reading all previous posts, after this long time, I think it will be alright for those who don't have time for all that to just jump in. After all, getting a fresh outlook on the book is a good idea.

I would like to start with LotR, since that was the first chapter-by-chapter discussion we had.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
That would be great! I'd love to reread Lord of the Rings! Even though the last time I read it was less than a year ago!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice idea. I haven't read the books in ages, it would good to read them again. When do want to start?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I might be interested as I'm currently rereading LotR (I'm in Rivendell)...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
When do want to start?
Thanks to those of you who have responded with interest! This rerun won't be as formal as the first readthrough - as the threads are already open, anyone can post at any time. If you're already reading, you don't have to wait for me! I will begin this weekend, and my reading tempo will be faster than it was the first time around - after all, I don't want to spend another 1 1/2 years just for LotR!! I may at times read a chapter a day, at other times skip one or more days.

If you join me in posting, don't worry whether things were already said way back several years ago - this is a fresh start, growing on the "leaf mould" of the previous discussion. A number of you weren't around back then - this is your chance to write what you think and feel when you reread LotR!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

There is one wonderful resource that we did not have at the time we began the first CbC discussions, and I will be reading and commenting on it along with the actual book text - Hammond and Scull's LotR Reader's Companion. I know some of you have it as well, and it will certainly be easier to read it chapter by chapter than it was to attempt to combine the various threads in HoME! However, I plan to read the book chapters first, so as to let Tolkien's own words echo in my mind before I add others' thoughts.

I'm beginning with the Foreword today; I have already read it and will post my thoughts soon.