The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
In regards to answering Mansun's exact question, whether Gandalf would strike a hobbit out of sheer anger, I think the answer is overwhelmingly no. Though the question was probably based on the books, I agree with those people who think that the movies have resulted in some misconceptions regarding the main characters' willingness to use physical violence (Gandalf dragging Sam, pulling Merry and Pippin's ears; Aragorn killing the Mouth of Sauron, etc.), just as a side point.

In regards to what I think Mansun meant - would Gandalf use violence (the clip on the ear, tap on the wrist type) to discipline hobbits - I think he might, but only in the context described by Rumil: if someone else's safety was at stake. However, such hypothetical physical discipline wouldn't be permanently disabling (obviously) or borne out of 'sheer anger'. Certainly I can't envisage him swatting someone over the head with his staff just for stealing his pipe.

Though this isn't strictly pertaining to the original topic, I think the idea of hobbits as 'children' is fascinating; certainly I think despite Gandalf knowing best out of everyone that they are not and should be treated as adults, their ignorance regarding the wider world and own self-contained mannerisms certainly echo traits of children you probably wouldn't find in an Aragorn or a Boromir....but I guess that's a topic for another thread...

P.S. It's nice to be back here after a long time
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun View Post
Your riddle and though process above reminds me a lot of Gollum, by the way.
Uh.... why? It's written in the first person singular, contains verb-subject agreement and doesn't say anything about fish at all.

EDIT: It does mention Gollum, though. Perhaps that's why it made you think of him.

Last edited by Nerwen; 12-02-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Closed Thread