The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Question The Hobbit - Chapter 13 - Not At Home

This chapter is dominated by the character who does not appear in it - Smaug! The big question is, where is he? We readers have to wait until the next chapter to find out; for now, we stay with Bilbo and the dwarves, who do not know.

The darkness eliminates all feeling of time and space, and the waiting and uncertainty put their patience to the test. Finally they decide to go in the only direction that is possible - toward danger, for all they know. Interestingly, unlike a popular saying, the only way out is down in this case.

We again see Bilbo's unusual awareness (extra-sensory perception or spirituality?) of events - his heart lightens though the dwarves still despair. Though he makes use of the ring, it gives him no advantage in the darkness. Again as well, the dwarves send him ahead into the possible danger, hanging back themselves. This gives him the opportunity to take for himself something that wil be of great significance later in the story - the Arkenstone. What do you think prompted him to do that? Was he guided by some greater power? Or did the enchantment of the dragon hoard account for it?

Unlike gems we know, it seems to have its own internal light, not merely to reflect light from without. It is called the "Heart of the Mountain", which would seem to indicate that it is a natural gem, not man/dwarf/elf-made. How would you explain its luminescence?

This chapter introduces another artefact that will figure importantly in LotR - Bilbo's mithril mail coat. Though Tolkien did not know it at the time he wrote this chapter, that was the third important article, after his sword Sting and the ring, that he needed for the 'sequel'.

Though not bodily present, the dragon's presence is felt throughout the caves, what with the treasure hoard, but also with the signs of past destruction.

Light returns; first artificial, as the dwarves light torches, then daylight, as they find their way to the entrance.

The hobbit's point of view involves food - missing out on meals, and when they finally eat, it is only cram. The man-made waybread compares unfavourably with that of the Elves (lembas) in LotR!

Not for the first time, the safest place to stay is outside the cave, and the chapter closes with rest and more waiting in the shelter on the side of the mountain.

Now, if you were reading this chapter for the first time, could you really stop at that point, or would you go on to the next chapter to see what happens?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Now, if you were reading this chapter for the first time, could you really stop at that point, or would you go on to the next chapter to see what happens?!
Now, now, Estelyn Telmoderator, are you trying to stir up a canonicity tempest? Do you mean reading it now as an adult, reading it now as a child, reading it by pushing LotR out of our minds? Dear me, the teapot will boil over.

I have to say that, much as I greatly enjoy the previous chapter, I find this to spin its wheels a bit instead of the story proper. Rightly the story does need a bit of drawing out of suspense and prolongation of the dragon theme. And we do have to have scenes where the dwarves confront the treasure hoard. I think I find it a little too obvious in its narrative role. Perhaps this is simply another way of saying that more humour might have provided a better contrast and lead in to the .... *removed as spoiler alert*

Reading now, the slime the dragon spreads on the ancient dwarven deep delving reminds me of a Ghostbusters' line: "They slimed me!". Totally incongruous I know.

Logically I suppose when one wants to delay the really big show with the dragon, a time out to develop character interaction seems reasonable. One thing I find interesting is that the dwarves do not themselves fall out in greed to amass some of the dragon hoard. And Thorin even shows the good business sense to hand Bilbo his part of the deal. Rapacious the dwarves are not.

The description of the Arkenstone immediately reminds me of Saruman of Many Colours. Yes it has "ten thousand sparks of white radiance" but it is also "shot with glints of the rainbow." Is this a stone that can break the light but still keep it together?

I like the brief descriptions of the ancient underground and appreciate the little bit of symbolism with the head waters of the Running River. With the dwarves now in possession of their ancient holdings, they are reborn into a new light. And who is it who is not at home? Obviously Smaug has gone elsewhere, but the dwarves are home, although not home free.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 04-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Quote:
And what did Douglas Gresham do, since we're told in the movie
Shadowlands he read one chapter a night before going to sleep, and
he was seen reading The Hobbit?

This chapter is important in itself to the story development, since
the Arkenstone is introduced, around which much of the storyline
and the further development and growth of Bilbo hinge.