Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
I'm loving this idea, and I'm quite excited about the possibilities.

I know we're not this far along in building this line of the story as the actual character is not yet created, but...what if Erebemlin & company discovered a fevered woman...somewhere...and Erebemlin (or Taitheneb as he's more understanding of humans) tries to bring her out and steps into her dream and...and find Mithrellas or more clues as to Nimrodel's location or something that makes them realize this woman needs to be kept around...

As I said, I know we're not this far, but I had to get the thought out there before it was lost with all the hoobalah in my life.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Old 07-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaklondewen
I know we're not this far along in building this line of the story as the actual character is not yet created, but...what if Erebemlin & company discovered a fevered woman...

What if Erebemlin and company discover a fevered child?

I'll give you the line of thought I scratched onto paper while pondering to the sounds of loud music to show you how I reached the idea of a little girl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I need a plausible reason for a female to be able to wander ME w/o family or well-meaning folks taking her in for the sake of propriety.

young orphan? 4-7

as a child, she'd be open to more things...

open-minded toward the supernatural; not yet given to the prejudices of her society

also more likely to ask questions
to bind the group against Thoronwë's desires
to be controlled by Thoronwë's mind

would need Elvish supervision?
and female travelling companions

dreams of Mithrellas & Imrazor through bloodline
nightmares of dying parents
and of Angela
Of course I'm in the beginning stages and fully capable of calling quits the idea of a child, but what think you?

And Formendacil: Eledhwen.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think a girl child really sets the whole conception off really well. It would cut off the gender-attraction thing for Raefindan, which is a good thing considering all the other things going on, and a girl child age 4 to 7 would be very, very disarming to him. Not that he tends toward defensiveness, but there's a certain quality of wonder about it being a child that appeals.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yay. Preliminary bio; probably needs work:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

NAME: Eledhwen “Elfsheen” / Indil “Devotion”

RACE: Gondorian

WEAPONS: none

APPEARANCE: a child; a meter or so high, with a girl child’s build of soft smallness. Baby-soft brown hair that falls half way down her back frames an unfreckled face. Her brown eyes hold a peculiar shine. Her fingernails are cut short and are clean. Clad in a functional over-dress of unknown original color, softly worn to grey, over a white shift. Grass-stained slippers.

HISTORY: Mithrellas bore two children to Imrazor, Galador and Gilmith, and Galador was the Lord of Dol Amroth, as were his sons and long sons after. Gilmith was wed with the approval of Galador and bore four children, three sons and a daughter. And her daughter bore twins and though the son died in infancy even as the mother died from their coming, her daughter grew to old age, raised by a kindly nursemaid, and raised three daughters and a son of her own. On this went through many generations until, through a pure and unbroken line of females, a final daughter of Mithrellas was born and her eyes were bright and she was called Eledhwen, that is Elfsheen, though her parents ever called her Indil, that is devotion, until she knew no other name.

And she was called Devotion for reason, for Indil followed her mother as a shadow and delighted in the songs her mother sang to her as she worked. And her father called her his greatest joy for the love in her young heart and the smile ever on her face. Indil was a happy child and one well-behaved and full of tender affection, and she was safe, born after the Great War in the flowered vales of Imloth Melui.

And when a day came that her parents chose to ride to Minas Tirith to see Father’s nearest kin, they did not worry, and Indil giggled happily at the adventure of the road, for though the journey was not long, she had not been terribly long in the world and so the road seemed more lengthy and full of the adventure of stories. But the road proved deadly and her parents were lost to an accident upon it, and Indil was lost and alone, and she was afraid.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Indil, as a loving child that has been much loved in return, and well protected, is inclined to trust too much. Having grown thus far in rural Gondor, she has seen little of the world. But she is curious by nature, and has a will to learn, and is affectionate and sweet. She speaks what she sees; a trait common to children of every time and place. Indil suffers from nightmares that she does not understand and is prone to tears that her parents do not wake and come for her. Young as she is, she is very impressionable. She dreams also, through link of unsullied bloodline, of Mithrellas and Imrazor, though she does not know it. She knows nothing of her lineage or her living past.

----------------------------------------------------

What should stay, what should go?

Anybody of the opinion that it should go entirely and I ought to start from scratch?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My initial reaction is that it's great as far as it goes, as is. Do you plan to fit the Angela link in? If so, how?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I like it. Two questions--

1. A picky question: why brown eyes instead of grey (Imrahil's eyes were grey?)

2. "She dreams of Mithrellas and Imrazor but does not know it." Why not? Maybe because she confuses them with her parents or perhaps with other relatives? Can she tell the dream-stories? Or does she completely forget them before she awakes?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Not that it matters...but...personally...I like it. She's short.

-Aylwen
Old 07-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I love when people ask questions to which I know the answers!

Quote:
1. A picky question: why brown eyes instead of grey (Imrahil's eyes were grey?)
Because Angela's were brown.

Quote:
2. "She dreams of Mithrellas and Imrazor but does not know it." Why not?
Confuses them for her parents. As a naive child, Indil doesn't realize that her parents aren't coming back. Mithrellas is lost, Mother is lost.