The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I just reread this chapter because I couldn't keep away. I actually started with the previous one and got carried forward by the momentum. Here we see the resolution of the tension that was building in Merry's story line since his separation from the rest of the Fellowship. The tension peaks in the previous chapter, with Merry having lots of second thoughts about his decisions and struggling to master his fear of the upcoming battle, and seeing Theoden doubt their efforts and their chances - and now the battle is there and they are fighting.

The whole chapter is an emotional roller coaster for the characters and the readers alike. The Rohirrim have come - but Theoden dies - but Eowyn kills the Witch-King - but Rohan's forces are insufficient to overcome the hordes of Mordor - and the corsairs are coming - but they aren't corsairs, it's Aragorn and the saving of the city. There are so many ups and downs packed within this chapter, and each one of them is emotionally loaded, so this chapter is packed with energy. I don't think there's another chapter in the legendarium that is packed with such an intense roller coaster as this one. Either the mood doesn't change as drastically and rapidly from grief to elation to dread and back again, or the events are not as emotionally charged.

There has been some talk above about Eowyn: though her journey was spurred by hopelessness and almost passive suicide, her encounter with the WK was spurred by love and defiance. I think that's absolutely true, but I also think that there are more links between her two states than this dichotomy implies. Firstly, I think that hopelessness is what partially played into her courage; not to understate her own inherent courage, but she seemed beyond the bravery of other men. It's almost like she has nothing to fear from the WK because she has nothing to lose. There is no blinding her with an animal fear of death because she seeks death, she is not afraid of it beyond the bravery of non-suicidal people. She is also incredibly firm in her identity and proud of it. It's part of what drove her to desperation, because with that understanding of identity she strove for goals and hopes that were out of her reach. But now it's what keeps her going: she is proud and steadfast in her convictions.

The Eowyn scene is my favourite part of the chapter. My heart still soars and falls with every new turn of the roller coaster, but this is the part that I reread the oftenest. I think I'm a bit of a Merry here: wanting to be inspired to be the better person by all that Eowyn is in that moment. Merry is the person in the scene I more readily compare myself to - I don't even hope to be an Eowyn in that situation, I know I wouldn't have the guts, but I hope I could be a Merry.