The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Briefly

I think this is just an expression of defiance in the face of the presumably stronger or evenly matched enemy, set on passing certain [narrow] point

I don't think it is to be especially connected to any contemporary (to Tolkien) events, but rather to battle-cries throughout history in general, as uttered by defenders to defy the offenders - as in this case Gandalf is acting defender, denying the passage to Balrog ("This is Spartaaa!" of the 300 movie might have altered perceptions somewhat, but much like Leonides in Thermopylae, kind of)

One of the reasons some ill-disposed critics tended to label LoTR as full of cliches, haven't they now? Replace "cliche" with "archetype", that will take us back to some primordial man at the mouth of the cave, brandishing his club and growling something of the kind to the face of the cave bear intent on spending the night in the same cave...

And ah, I do find the exchange brilliant, and so I think Tolkien might have liked it, even if he wrote it himself

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
And ah, I do find the exchange brilliant, and so I think Tolkien might have liked it, even if he wrote it himself
He must have liked it, because otherwise he wouldn't have written it.