The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
But you'll have to buy a new Kindle
If it broke of its own accord (like if you haven't danced a jig on it or did not flush it in the toilet or something very obviously damaging to it), more likely than not amazon will replace it free of charge (apart from shipping expenses I believe)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
If it broke of its own accord (like if you haven't danced a jig on it or did not flush it in the toilet or something very obviously damaging to it), more likely than not amazon will replace it free of charge (apart from shipping expenses I believe)
Very generous No hidden agenda?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Very generous No hidden agenda?
No hidden aganda at all, in fact, the object is very overt: to flood the market with their product (as well as underpricing their units), and thus crush the competition.

In the immortal words of Duncan McLeod, "There can be only one!"
Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
No need to buy a new Kindle even if you did flush it down the khazi (and why would you do that, unless you were reading Breaking Dawn?) - you can simply download the necessary app for free, to use on your computer, smartphone or spanky android tablet.

Now there is nothing to stop everyone from downloading fantastic and witty new books, eh?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
you can simply download the necessary app for free, to use on your computer, smartphone or spanky android tablet.
I do have FBreading apps on my phones (see up there), but I still think if my kindle broke (I hope it won't), I will still go for a new one (but not a touchscreen, just the keyboard one I have, Kindle 3 that would be) - it just feels like I'm reading a 'real' book when I'm reading with it (specially as I've bought a leather cover to go with it so now I'm holding it with both hands lying on my back - very bookish feeling for me, you know)

As for Amazon's generosity - they always used to be like that. I remember back in 2000 or maybe 2001, one of my orders was late (like, couple of months, maybe three) - so I figured it was lost for good and wrote about it. The replacement was sent to me free of charge - but that's not the point of the story - actually it so happened that original shipment turned up in a couple of months more - so I ended with two sets of identical books for half price. I wrote to Amazon yet again to inform them about it asking for the way of returning extra - the answer was - please do keep it for we value our customers etc etc. Apart from being impressed, I had much less trouble in my birthday gift selection process for my friends that year

Edit: And to keep up the pretense of at least trying to stay on topic - currently rereading Harry Potter with said piece of equipment (which reminds me... I should proceed back to the couch I left my HP-ed Kindle on...)

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 02-08-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Personally, I love (most of) Robin Hobb's books because of her superb storytelling and the books' huge "awwww-ing potential". I can see that the slowish everyday life and emotional zigzag of the main character could annoy somebody but I like it - maybe because I feel for the main character and can sympathise with him. Maybe it's an age thing? I first read the books as a teenager and I have had a soft spot for them ever since although I don't relate with Fitz so much anymore. I also like the way Hobb picks the most ridiculous clichés and turns them into something captivating, and I find the characters very likable. Some of them seem a little flat, yes, but I'm blaming it on the narrator's subjectivity as it's just the main character speaking. Maybe that's one more reason I like the Farseer series and the subsequent Tawny Man trilogy so much - they have a likeable and complicated enough first person narrator which is (a little sadly) quite rare in epic fantasy.

Nerwen and others - if you're bored of fantasy literature just recycling the same old ideas, I would suggest authors like Neil Gaiman and China Miéville, or maybe even the crazy Hal Duncan. None of it is traditional "high fantasy" though.

Last year I didn't read maybe as much fantasy as I normally do, but I did for example finally read some stuff I had been meaning to read for years, such as Lord Dunsany's King of the Elf-land's Daughter, Frank Herbert's Dune (which I would classify as science fiction, though) and The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern/ William Goldman. They were all definitely worth reading, but had their weak points too. I also acquainted myself with aforementioned China Miéville and Kage Baker, a humoristic fantasy author, whose style left me a little confused. Of course, I also read more of one of my definite favourites, Guy Gavriel Kay, and was amazed again (just how can someone write in such a beautiful and epic manner?), and reread George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. He's now been promoted to be included in the list of my favourite authors.

Lastly, I read two collections of "short" stories by supposed masters of the fantasy genre, named Legends and Legends II and edited by Robert Silverberg. Based on what I read there, I'd like to ask a question: are Orson Scott Card and Terry Goodkind worth a closer acquaintance? I quite liked their stories in these collections.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
II [/I]and edited by Robert Silverberg. Based on what I read there, I'd like to ask a question: are Orson Scott Card and Terry Goodkind worth a closer acquaintance? I quite liked their stories in these collections.
I asume the Orson Scott Card story you are referring to is The Grinning Man and that therfore you are asking if it is worth persuing his Alvin Maker series (his Ender's game stuff is quite different). I'd say yes, they are a very well written series (just bear in mind that there is still one more book to go, but Card has been slow to write that one) besides the books (Seventh Son, Red Prophet, Prentice Alvin, Alvin Journeyman, Heartfire, and The Crystal City) there's one more short story "Yazoo Queen" (you can find that in the Swords and Sorcery anthology) and "Prentice Alvin and the No Good Plow" which is a long epic poem that outlined the whole plot of the series before Card wrote the books (and therfore has clues about what is going to happen in the last book")
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
...and reread George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. He's now been promoted to be included in the list of my favourite authors.
Ah, that one, regardless of double R in the middle of his name that brings home nice reminiscences, I could not force myself past the chapter the whole lot of them (can't remember the names for the life of me) find direwolf cubs and proclaim these to be tied with the fates of their clan. Just got stuck there and went to read something else instead (It was Space Trilogy of C.S.Lewis IIRC)

Anyway, I hope it was not a total waste of money (as I've got all 5 Kindle editions, again, IIRC, maybe it's four, can't remember whether book 5 was already out by then) and one day, someday, I will turn back to the series and read them and, hopefully, enjoy them

Maybe I was just in no mood for it first time, but it seemed to lack certain knack for me. Though I definitely abstained from watching the movie so far, saving my judgement till I finally get over books (if I do read them after all)