Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry that took so long. I think it took about 2 hours to write and throw dice to figure it all out. I didn't let it go entirely randomly - gave Erbrand and Kara "+3" for the last three paragraphs or so... Hope you like it.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's wonderful, Elempi! You had me laughing out loud the entire way!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great race, Groin! And of course, I don't mind seeing one of my characters win. I'll write something for Rowenna etc. in the next little while. Time is running out tonight though.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks LMP, but I'm certain that it could have been better if I had spent more time at it. It felt as if I was rushing too fast through the entire thing, I'll spend more time on the narrating the Archery contest.

I'll get something up for Erbrand soon. Lommy, it looks like you're going to have to post soon: you are in charge of narrating the next contest!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'll get something up for Erbrand soon. Lommy, it looks like you're going to have to post soon: you are in charge of narrating the next contest!
Eek, and thanks for reminding me. I think I could manage to do something on Friday.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, must get ready for writers' group - this must wait until after Thursday night.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ooooh, that was a really good race, Groin. It would have been hard on Saeryn, what with her recently hurt side, so I'm really going to have to post soon...it's about time, too, I got back into the game.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry but I have as well been just overpowered by the real-life. But looking at this - even with a short glance - looks well indeed as to what little has been written. I'm going to catch up very soon... hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm not sorry for not posting yesterday, because I figured I would let you guys do a few posts in between. But I'm sorry for not informing you of my change of plans... I will write soonish.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I will write soonish.
How familiar... in every sense of the word!

But it's the next game. So we're waiting...

Anyway. Who's going to write the spear throwing?

Looking at the latest list by Groin I think there is at least one missing thing as I promised to write the quarterstaff-fight and now there is no one to write it in the list. It is still my intention to write that one.

So is it the same thing with spear throwing - that the writer has just been forgotten - or are we facing a real problem with no one going to write it?

If we have a problem I might give it a try as my scheduals seem to be a bit easier for the coming week or two *knocks on wood and crosses fingers*. But as I will have two games to write in total I'd be happy to see someone else doing it so that as many people as possible could write these games.

But as I said I can do it if no one else wishes to do it.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Not meaning to insinuate shoddy healthcare under Eodwine's watch, of course...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've been on the road for three days and am now settled for about three days at my folks on the eastern seaboard of North America. It will be a busy time, but I should be able to squeeze in a wrestling game post. Not to mention character posts.

Fea? Hallooooo? Is Degas going to answer Rowenna?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Fea? Hallooooo? Is Degas going to answer Rowenna?
Erm... hang on, I appear to have missed the memo that he was supposed to... *heading to the game thread...*
Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks, Fea. A most sure and brief post that covers all important points. I shall assign str, dex, and con. numbers to all the rest of the wrestlers (hope I get Stigend right), and proceed to put together the matches this evening. Might have this post up soon. Sorry for the delay as this Day is taking forever long to write.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Go Harreld, Go! I hope the smith wins.

Good posts, Elempi! Can't wait to see the end....
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Poor Dan, he never had a chance against that giant Harreld.

Great post Elempi, but my money is on Crabannan that man is to shifty and determined to lose. Looking forward to the ending!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

bride price and dowry

Thanks to Lommy for reminding me about this topic, for which Fea requested assistance. Just to make things clear in my mind as well:

Bride price = that which is owed by the suitor for the woman's hand in marriage. This is NOT actually "buying the woman", but paying her family for two things: (1) the loss of the good things she was and did as part of the household; (2) her security once widowhood arrives.

Part 2 was typical in pre-modern times because women tended to marry much younger than men, who generally had to establish themselves economically (with a trade or actual wealth) before they could start thinking about marriage, and so the man was quite likely to die before she did.

Scarburg itself cannot be the bride price, since that is given by the king the Eorl of Middle Emnet, and if there is an eldest son, it should go to him, depending upon the king's blessing.

Condition number 1 (above) is rather subjective in Saeryn's case, and that's a matter of agreement between Degas and Eodwine. Condition number 2 has to do with making it the husband's responsibility to care for his wife after his death, rather than making it his childrens' responsibility. Of course, that would mean that Degas' family would be held responsible to take Saeryn back to the Folde, should she wish to go there, since that's where the bride price was paid to. Then again, she could request the bride price be paid to her after Eodwine's death, and she could remain at Scarburg with her children.

The bride price could be coin, or it could be cattle, horses, you name it; could even be a "tithe" of the next five years' harvest in grain, or some such. We could be very creative about it.

Then there's the dowry. The whole idea here is that the family of the bride hopes to enrich the bride and her husband's fresh start by giving them something to bank against the immediate future.

So the dowry has to do with "start-up", and the bride price has more to do with the bride's security in the long term.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hey, LMP, I never understood the exact meaning of those two terms - thanks for educating me.

I've posted now and I must admit it didn't take that much effort... Matrim is soon becoming my favourite NPC*, I think. (*Btw is he technically an NPC or just Nerindel's forgotten character?)

Kath, if you want to write a post for Frodides, make her reply Modtryth, but if you don't, just say it on this thread and I may as well carry on from where I left it.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
No, I actually got a better idea. I would need the sword fighting event for that, though. Because I feel like sharing, please check your PM box, Elempi.

(Or no, actually there's no need for that. I'm sure you'll get to read my PM before you even read this post. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Hah! You were right. Go for it; should be quite .... er..... fun
This has been 'bothering' me ever since you two said this! Please don't keep me guessing for long about what the plan is, Lhuna! I keep coming up with ... interesting and 'fun' scenerios in my head.

But, then, I guess that you're really waiting for the sword fighting, huh? I guess I'll have to be patient. *starts gnawing on fingernails with impatience*
Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I will try to get a reply up later toDay Lommy.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

My first sack-fight post is a waay too long. I hope you forgive me as Cnebba and Garmund are characters of which one is mine (well shared with Lommy) and the other I have written a lot of as well, so that match is a bit overdone in length. I'll promise to be a bit shorter in the future...

The next part is coming in soonish.

PS. Foley: I hope that's alright with Javan. I can edit out the "inner thoughts" of him if you think I should. I'm happy to do that if I've portrayed that young man incorrectly.

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-27-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hey, LMP, I never understood the exact meaning of those two terms - thanks for educating me.
You're welcome. I have to admit that the distinction of dowry as "start up money" is a logical conclusion I reached without support of evidence.

Quote:
is Matrim technically an NPC or just Nerindel's forgotten character?
I'd say the correct appallation of Matrim is that he is Nerindel's *minor* character. In her absence he becomes an NPC.

Sorry, Foley, I'm following Lhuna's lead on this one, and she's waiting for the sword fight.

Now that things are happening around here, I've stopped being so antsy trying to move things along to the end of the games. But let's please keep things going once Nogrod's finished with the sack fight!

It's late. I'll write a post to catch up Harreld & Rowenna in the morning.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #23
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have edited post # 336 on the Scarburg thread with the continuation from Fea's and my PM built post.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #24
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nogrod, when you write your post for Erbrand and Harreld in the quarterstaff fight, you may begin it with Harreld agreeing to Erbrand's idea.

I am quite busy lately, and can manage to wait a bit so if you want to write the detailed kind of fight, I'm okay with it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod, when you write your post for Erbrand and Harreld in the quarterstaff fight, you may begin it with Harreld agreeing to Erbrand's idea.
That will be done. I'll try to make later today (after I've done some essay-reading...).
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #26
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Amusing post, Foley. At first when you had Saeryn and Rowenna look at each other, I thought they were silently reading each others' minds the way matchmaking women sometimes seem to do. But since you didn't go that way, I think I'll have Rowenna be stupendously dense as to Saeryn's thoughts this time; precisely because Rowenna, literally, cannot (as in incapable of it) imagine matching up with Thornden. It would simply never occur to her.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #27
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Amusing post, Foley. At first when you had Saeryn and Rowenna look at each other, I thought they were silently reading each others' minds the way matchmaking women sometimes seem to do. But since you didn't go that way, I think I'll have Rowenna be stupendously dense as to Saeryn's thoughts this time; precisely because Rowenna, literally, cannot (as in incapable of it) imagine matching up with Thornden. It would simply never occur to her.
Oh, you can make Rowenna think whatever she likes! I think Saeryn was just looking at her because she was thinking so hard about her and Thornden.

-- Foley

P.S. It is slightly amusing, slightly annoying, that this board only allows three smiley faces per post. I'm on another board where you can do as many as you like, and I tell you....some people go bonkers with them. It's mostly the women who do that.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #28
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
P.S. It is slightly amusing, slightly annoying, that this board only allows three smiley faces per post. I'm on another board where you can do as many as you like, and I tell you....some people go bonkers with them. It's mostly the women who do that.
You could have removed the smileys from LMP's quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Don't I think...? What? lol! Caught even ME off guard there! I didn't know it was an option. That's hilarious. I guess it could've been a go, but I don't know what's going to happen once Randver comes, so I won't say anything at all about whether it'll be possible in the future at all...
I already gloated in Lhuna's LJ, but I'll gloat again: I did guess that...
Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #29
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
You could have removed the smileys from LMP's quote...
What! And change it from a direct quote! I did, actually. I took his last smiley out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I already gloated in Lhuna's LJ, but I'll gloat again: I did guess that...
Eh...stop your gloating and write a post for Cnebba and Garmund. What's an LJ? Little joke?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
What's an LJ? Little joke?
Livejournal, typically. Or Laura Jones. You've no idea how confused I get when people abbreviate their blogs around me...
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'll reply for Saeryn tomorrow, very probably. Sorry I haven't done it sooner - I've been a distracted mess these past two or so days.

-- Foley
Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #32
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Foley:

First, would Saeryn speak so freely to Rowenna, with Eodwine sitting at her left (I think), about that which has not yet been spoken of except in general terms? I speak, of course, of the expected union of S & E.

Second, if Rowenna were to stay at Scarburg (not saying she will), who would write her in my extended absence? I fear I am going to be quite picky about how Rowenna is handled, as I have drawn her more carefully and exactly than any other character I have here, and I wouldn't like her to change, even inadvertently, except for such changes as come through the rigors of time and circumstance.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Foley:

First, would Saeryn speak so freely to Rowenna, with Eodwine sitting at her left (I think), about that which has not yet been spoken of except in general terms? I speak, of course, of the expected union of S & E.
Elempi! I thought Eodwine was off fighting! No, Saeryn wouldn't talk like that with him sitting there. She's talking with Rowenna like two girl friends would talk about up coming possibilities.

Quote:
Second, if Rowenna were to stay at Scarburg (not saying she will), who would write her in my extended absence? I fear I am going to be quite picky about how Rowenna is handled, as I have drawn her more carefully and exactly than any other character I have here, and I wouldn't like her to change, even inadvertently, except for such changes as come through the rigors of time and circumstance.
Oh. Well, if that's the case, perhaps I can. I can't promise doing her justice, but I think I have an idea of her character, and that's a start. The most difficult thing I see at this point with her character is just how much has she changed this day with the different things that have happened? She's been softened, sure, but how much? She's lost her main goal (Eodwine), but does that mean she won't set another goal and try to reach it?

She doesn't have to stay - Saeryn is just hoping she does and trying to suggest a way to make it possible.

If that post is inccorect and in ways inappropriate, I can remove it. When writing it, I was really uncertain of it myself...

-- Foley
Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #34
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi,

I am sorry to bother you and ask for such a slight alteration but in your post, could you change this:

Quote:
"Rowenna! No, I don't mean anything like-"
To,
Quote:
"No, Rowenna, you mistake me!"
Thanks.

-- Foley
Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #35
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

A very sensible alteration. Consider it done.

However, your little OOC comment in your last post really must go.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-16-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #36
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

K, Elempi, I edited my post, let me know if that works.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I've been overpowered by reality and have not been able to give a single thought to this but happily there seems to be at least something going on! Good to see you on it lmp and Foley!

I'll try to come up with the second semifinal and the final asap.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #38
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I may regret this, but I thought I'd try WISYWIG, or whatever it's called, just to see what it makes available. If anything.

Hmm.. do I owe Saeryn a response from Eodwine? *goes to take a look*

Nope, it's just a matter of whether Saeryn wants to reply to Rowenna about her plans. Foley?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #39
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Umm... WISYWIG?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
WYSIWYG :

What You See Is What You Get

HERE's some info.