The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Tolkien LotR - Foreword

Quote:
This tale grew in the telling
These are the first words (except for the Ring poem) in my edition of The Lord of the Rings; probably in most of yours as well. The Foreword dates much later than the book itself; Tolkien wrote it in 1965 for the first official American paperback edition (Ballantine’s), after the pirated Ace version had become enormously popular in the U.S. The closing sentences of the Foreword refer to that, including the famous words beginning “This paperback edition, and no other…”

There are several aspects we can discuss:

1) The autobiographical comments Tolkien makes
2) The glimpses he gives us of the development of the story
3) The explanation of his intention in writing the tale
4) His comments on the reactions of readers and critics

I am always touched by his statement
Quote:
I had many duties that I did not neglect, and many other interests…
It sounds a bit wistful; what could he have accomplished with less distractions?! But it also shows me the greatness of his spirit, the creativity which came through despite the necessities of daily life. He mentions one of those necessities:
Quote:
…it had to be typed, and re-typed: by me; the cost of professional typing by the ten-fingered was beyond my means.
What a waste of time and energy, I think when I read that – and am reminded of J. S. Bach, who had to spend time engraving the notes for his compositions, since he also couldn’t afford help.

I look forward to reading your opinions and thoughts on the Foreword!

*IMPORTANT ADDITION: The original foreword, written for the first edition, has been passed on to us by Squatter in post #25 on this thread - we are including it in our discussion. Thanks, Squatter, for that important supplement!

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 06-08-2004 at 01:36 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote