User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Sixth Wizard's post

In a large open field somewhere in Rohan, a small figure was hurrying through the bright sun. Heavily dressed, he was nevertheless in a state of disrepair, and looked as though he had travelled a long way. This was in fact a dwarf known as Dárin of the Iron Hills. And Dárin the Dwarf was in the state of mind that had carried him through the past few weeks. Grumpy.

"Witch-Kings and Necromancers! Elves and Dragons! Spiders and Skin-changers! Goblins and Trolls! I can't take it any more, no I can't, I am too old, too old. Why oh why did I ever begin this journey? I don't like Thin-gloomy! I should've earned my bread at home, or become a builder, ...or something anyway! And curse this infernal grass!" A stream of mixed curses and profanities were dispatched from Dárin as he plucked a few spines from his clothes.

There were many miles behind him, and many a clue from travellers he had met over the disappearance of his second cousin Thin-Gloomy. The main reason Dárin had left the Iron Hills was because of his poverty, brought on because he was terrible when dealing with gold, and the thought he may profit from helping his relative. And somewhere there were some family ties hidden under his gruff exterior. He actually had quite a loyal heart.

Finally he began to draw near to civilisation. Civilisation, he laughed. People of the farms know nothing of stonework! One thing they're good at though, making ale. He hastened toward the nearest Inn, ignoring their stares, and a snuffling horse. A good drink awaited.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-11-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thinlómien’s post

When Thin-Gloomy had won the race for the hoard, all the things he had could thought of had been the victory and what to do with the prize. The reality had hit him the next day. How was he to carry the enormous treasure home? And what was 'home' for him? Did he really wish to return to the Iron Hills? Where else could he go?

He had had no idea what to do, so he had started from the smallest of matters. He had begged an audience from King Malvegil of Arthedain. He had told the King he was about to establish a trade caravan carrying coal, and needed a few wagons and able drivers. King Malvegil had agreed after a little while. He had probably wanted to seem generous and, after all, he had owed Thin-Gloomy quite a lot of his knowledge of the Angmarian army.

Thin-Gloomy had made a fatal mistake. Instead of asking the king for guards to protect him he had decided to hire some sellswords from Annúminas after he had got the treasure. He had not expected that the knowledge of the prize and his victory had already been heard by ears whose owners bore little good intention.

The day had been a beautiful one, more beautiful that it had been for weeks. The sun had shone and there had been no clouds. Even Thin-Gloomy couldn't have expected an attack on such a lovely day. I have doubtlessly become softer and lost all my wits, if I ever had any, Thin-Gloomy thought later. He was angry with himself and well, gloomy.

The attackers had hidden in the trees and shot the wagon drivers before their attack was even noticed. Thin-Gloomy had managed to hit one with a bolt from his crossbow, when a shrill female voice had called: "Drop your crossbow right now, or there'll be five arrows through your heart." Thin-Gloomy dropped the bow. It was from old memory. When the bulliers had attacked him, he had always given up to shorten his torment.

"Thomas and Jack, tie the dwarf and see that he's not harmed... yet. Cover his eyes and his mouth too so that he can't scream for help", the same shrill voice had ordered. "Mica, help Samson down and to one of the wagons. We'll take just one wagon. When you've done that, stay here and look after the remaining beasts and wagons. Thomas and Jack will come back to help you to fetch them."

All had been done as the shrill-voiced woman had bidden. She obviously had a firm grip over the four men. A nice little harem she has, Thin-Gloomy thought dryly.

The journey to their destination hadn't been long, but it had been uncomfortable. The only pleasure for Thin-Gloomy had been hearing the wounded man, Samson, wailing with every bump the wagon took before the woman ruined it and told the man to shut up.

In their destination, Thin-Gloomy had been carried at least a few stairs down and locked in a cell.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-11-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
“Good day to you stranger! And who might you be?” the cloaked figure had asked as he/she came up to Glidingo. He was slightly taken aback at the voice he heard coming from underneath the hood. That voice...it sounds so familiar...

"Well, I thought that you would have the pleasure of responding first as I am the one who asked you first. However, I will tell you who I am. I am Glirdingo from the realm of Lorien. And now I ask you once again, who might you be for I reconize your voice, but I cannot place a face." He said this all in one breath as he was quite anxious to find out who was beneath the cloak.

The person lifted their hands slowly to their hood and began to lower it and Glirdingo gasped in shock. "You!"
Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Arianna giggled and smiled. How she had forgotten just how much she loved to tease him. She lowered her hands to her sides and looked him over. How he had changed since she had last saw him. They had both changed a lot.

"Yes it is I. Do you recognize me now my dear Glirdingo?" She asked him softly. She wanted to embrace him, but she remember how he would protest when she would do that.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

"Yes it is I. Do you recognize me now my dear Glirdingo?" Arianna asked him softly. How could he ever forget!?

They were the best of friends as children. Then they grew apart. It wasn't long after this (well, for Elves anyway) that he found the bottle containing the letter to the Golden Hoard hunt. He left abruptly without saying goodbye to anyone. Then he went on his ventures with Galadster and Kafkalina.

Throughout his adventures he never stopped thinking about her. They way they used to run along the river banks in Lorien, playing hide and seek, they way she smiled at him when he did something silly, her laugh...

He shook himself from his reverie and looked her straight in those deep eyes. "I could never forget you my dear Arianna. There hasn't been a minute when I haven't thought of you on my ventures," he replied quietly, as if they were the only two people in the world.

He looked her up and down. Wow...She has grown so much since I've last seen her...She is now truly and Elven lady. He looked back into her deep eyes and saw them twinkling with delight. He smiled and said, "Shall we go in? We may be more comfortable in there then out here. Besides, I am to meet someone here on a matter of great importance. And I would like to hear everyhing that has passed since I left." He took her hand (Oh, how soft her hand is...) and led her to the door of the Inn.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
She giggled in delight to hear him say her name once more. He was the only one that could cause her to giggle for no reason. Especially when he did something silly. Sometimes he would do silly things on purpose and she had come to miss that, as well as miss him.

"I have missed you so Glirdingo. Yes, let us go inside. It is far warmer and you can tell me of this important matter. Perhaps I can help," Arianna replied. She sighed softly when he took her hand and led her inside.

He was no longer the little elven boy that she had once known. He was an elven man. One that caused her heart to stir in such a way that she had never known before. She had heard elven ladies speak of the heart of a lady and finally finding that elven man that had it. Could it be that her long time childhood friend would cause such an effect in her? She decided not to dwell on it. There was something behind his stoic surface that told her that this important matter was dire.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdingo led the way into the Inn and too a table in a corner next to a window which looked out across the plains of Rohan. He sat down opposite to Arianna and looker at her passionately.

Then he noticed that she was looking at him intently and he looked away and stared out the window and noticed a figure walking towards the Inn. Another wanderer perhaps... he thought to himself silently. But that figure looks oddly familiar...

He looked away from the figure and out across the plains of Rohan, thinking back to when him and Arianna used to play together. Those were less complicated times, he thought. But now... I've missed her so much but I've never felt like this before...Have I fallen in love with my best friend?

He looked back at Arianna and decided. "Arianna, I have something I must tell you..."