The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thank you for reviving my old thread, Pitchwife and PrinceOfTheHalflings!

I think my aversion to the German tranlation(s) and nomenklatura stem from the fact that I read the books first in English, and as an adult.
But I understand very well that, if somebody read and loved the translated version as a teenager, this first impression will remain dear to the heart.
(Btw, if the Shire should represent not "Englishness" but "homeliness" then for me the Hobbits should speak Swiss Dialect! In "Quotes in other languages" I did translate some Hobbit Quotes to my dialect. Orcs speech also works, but never the noble speech of Elves or Gondorians.)
Old 05-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Btw, if the Shire should represent not "Englishness" but "homeliness" then for me the Hobbits should speak Swiss Dialect!
And why not? After all, the Prof himself said (in Appendix F II) that
Quote:
Hobbits indeed spoke for the most part a rustic dialect.
(Although I wonder whether Schwyzerdütsch shouldn't be more properly considered a language in its own right rather than a dialect... )
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Orofarne
Pile O'Bones

Orofarne has just left Hobbiton.
I found the Spanish translation somewhere, and I have been reading it off and on. After getting used to the shock of seeing one's favorite character say the kind of snarly sentence that is the nightmare of anyone speaking in their second language, I did notice some inconsistencies.
1) The poetry didn't rhyme. I suppose this is a good thing, but it is a shade disconserting.
2) Strider was Trancos. My dictionary says this means 'trunk'.
3) When I was reading both the translation and the original simotaneaously, I noticed that the sentences were not in the right order, which might confuse persons who only read the translation.
The translation was fun, but I'd cast my vote in favor of the real one.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think for the interested parties, this thread had a similar topic - and it was one I enjoyed a lot...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I first read LOTR in Russian, and I must say that I enjoyed - and still enjoy - it very much. I have a good translation that does not lose the book's charm. Some dialogue is changed a bit, but it is done to keep the spirit of the words intact. The language reflects the speaker/race, just like in the original, and it's archaic and just sounds beautiful.

On the other hand, I read a translation of The Sil, and it was the worst thing ever written. It sounded like an instruction book to a computer game.

It really depends on the translation.

The Sil for me is only in English. I know it in English. But there are 2 LOTRs for me. I don't favour either one; they are both equally good, but there is just a slight difference.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I first read LOTR in Russian, and I must say that I enjoyed - and still enjoy - it very much. I have a good translation that does not lose the book's charm. Some dialogue is changed a bit, but it is done to keep the spirit of the words intact. The language reflects the speaker/race, just like in the original, and it's archaic and just sounds beautiful.
I'd assume that would be Муравьев-Кистяковский one?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
I'd assume that would be Муравьев-Кистяковский one?
That's the one! How did you know? Are you also Russian?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote