Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Lhuna, how would it be if Randvér's arrival were a month off? I'm hoping to skip time to early August with the next "official" Day.
A month later? Will there be still any work left to be done by then? Because supposedly that's Randvér's reason for coming over: to help his friend out with getting settled. I mean, aside from the obvious of checking how Ginna's doing.

But if not, it's okay. Sure, Randvér can just arrive after the time skip.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Noggie has settled the names of the guards for us. Great job working up the personalities a bit!

I'll post starting the new Day some time tomorrow evening, so if you want to have something same-Day in yet, please post before then. That gives you approximately 20 hours.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I took the liberty of having a small fire of some kind appear on the Scar briefly, presumably created by one of the peasants Erbrand saw earlier or maybe even Oeric, though he's probably too smart to do something like that. Hope it's alright.

EDIT: 1000 posts!

Last edited by Gwathagor; 07-13-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Stigend & the gang is back - and it's early evening there in the end of the post. So from my part you can jump forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Noggie has settled the names of the guards for us.
Yep. I took one of your favourites and one of mine...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I see you Gwath changed the placing of your post.

A good idea looking at the "reader experience"!

Nicely thought!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great characterizations, Nogrod. Believe it or not, Ćthelstan is the creation of one of the former writers of EOH, and at that time had been given status as 3rd in command after Thornden and Eodwine. But having nobody to write him for over a year, that got lost or ignored. It needn't have come into your posts at all, but I like the characterization of someone not being able to apologize with words but by a gift. Very apt, that. There's still time for anyone who wishes to get in a last post before I change the Day.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Believe it or not, Ćthelstan is the creation of one of the former writers of EOH, and at that time had been given status as 3rd in command after Thornden and Eodwine. But having nobody to write him for over a year, that got lost or ignored.
Before I started writing I went back the threads to find any information I needed and found your earlier post where it was said that Aethelstan was written by someone, already forgotten by whom, at some earlier days. I tried to do name-searches with every possible variation of the name from both the EMH and the EMH discussion thread but found no hits. So I just took the lead which said he is 21 years old and thought about a wannabe writer who wished to have a young and gallant soldier of that age but didn't have the stamina to write more than a couple of posts... and that's what became of it.

Good to see it fit.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Watch out, Nogrod, you have the makings of a 2nd personal character wanthing you to write him. Heck, it's already happened. Before long you're going to be writing from Wilcred's perspective; just wait and see. That's the way it goes; ask Harreld.

There is one more piece of story that must be told before this Day ends. Dan must bring "Nydfara" to Eodwine. I can think of 2 ways to handle that. Either we can have one or both of Firefoot and Eonwe post, followed by one of mine featuring Eodwine, OR the three of us could do a PM-built post allowing for dialogue, and it can be included in Eodwine's thoughts as he thinks back from the new Day to "a month ago". Let me know which way you want to go with this.

At any rate, we can start the new Day now, and either add this post in to the appropriate spot, or have it be a recollection.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Yeah... kill me in Werewolf and all of a sudden I have too much time on my hands. I don't know if I'll be around permanently, but I think there's enough summer left that I can commit to at least one Day.

Since I haven't posted since the Mead Hall, here's a copy-and-edit of Náin's CV:

NAME: Náin son of Narin son of Nori

RACE: Dwarf, of the House of Longbeards

GENDER: Male: none of this is-a-female-under-the-beard nonsense here.

WEAPONS: A long, bearded battle-axe. Several hammers and chisels as well, if one wants to count those.

APPEARANCE: Four feet, six inches tall, muscular, possessing a full, red beard of about two feet in length. Rather thin-faced as Dwarves go, typically cheerful in appearance.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Náin is a people person: he likes being around people, and being liked by people- except when he’s working, when he’d generally rather be alone. Generally cheerful and optimistic, he can be off-putting with a rather grave attitude normally. He has a sense of humour, but it tends to be of the wrier, dry variety. A sculptor by trade, he’s also got basic skills in masonry and smithying. Though not a warrior professionally, he is a sound fighter with his bearded battle-axe. Not particularly comfortable around women, he can be easily flustered by prolonged exposure to them. He’s also got a bit of a prejudice against Elves, as is typical for Dwarves.

HISTORY: The grandson of Nori, companion of Thorin Oakenshield, Náin was born in Erebor, and there lived until the present time. Though young- for a Dwarf- he displayed more than average skill in sculpture, and was thus chosen to go to Edoras in gratitude to King Éomer’s generosity to Gimli’s colonization of the Glittering Caves. During the War of the Ring, Náin fought in the Battle of Erebor, and certainly did his part fighting off orks and Easterlings. It was at this time that he acquired most of his warrior’s skills. As the grandson of Nori, Náin is on the wealthier side for a Dwarf, although an uncle older than his father inherited most of their portion of the family gold. As a result, he has never known true hunger or poverty save what he experienced during the Siege of Erebor.

AND SINCE THE ABOVE: Náin assisted a bit with the repairs and expansion to the Mead Hall, until Eodwine moved out and the project lost its royal priority. King Éomer allowed him to join the other Dwarves at Helm's Deep. Now he comes to Scarburg as a Master Mason and Stonecutter, as well as the token Dwarf.

---------------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-19-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Náin assisted a bit with the repairs and expansion to the Mead Hall, until Eodwine moved out and the project lost its royal priority. King Éomer allowed him to join the other Dwarves at Helm's Deep. Now he comes to Scarburg as a Master Mason and Stonecutter, as well as the token Dwarf.
As lord Eodwine is planning to build his new Mead Hall from stone... A thing his carpenter Stigend has reacted with fear and trembling (with this lot and our skills?) you're just more than welcome Form... ehe... Náin...!

Good to see you back!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Yeah... kill me in Werewolf and all of a sudden I have too much time on my hands. I don't know if I'll be around permanently, but I think there's enough summer left that I can commit to at least one Day.
Reunion!

I'll bring in Degas once enough people have woken up that he doesn't have a straight shot to Eodwine.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alrighty. I posted, mostly for the sake of posing something. I made some assumptions about how the boys were getting along. If Nogrod and Lommy want things to be different, I'll go back and change it. I just wanted to get something up.

We haven't really done much planning about how things would be on the present day. What I think is no clear to be seen in the post I just put up, but I can reiterate it here.

I think that at first, things would have been really tough. How long this lasted, who knows? Maybe until another explosion happened and they had to be talked to again. I don't know how it works in real life with real kids.

As time moved on, I imagine they would grow used to each other, but perhaps not friendly. I'm thinking that that's where they are at this point.

You see, when you're stuck with someone you don't like for a long time against your will, it doesn't often get better. Something actually has to happen to make it better...

So, what I'm thinking is, maybe on this Day that we're playing out now, we can have that 'something' happen, and the friendship/relationship/whatever you want to call it can become complete.

How's that sound?
And are we doing a community post for what happened a month ago?

-- Foley
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
There is one more piece of story that must be told before this Day ends. Dan must bring "Nydfara" to Eodwine. I can think of 2 ways to handle that. Either we can have one or both of Firefoot and Eonwe post, followed by one of mine featuring Eodwine, OR the three of us could do a PM-built post allowing for dialogue, and it can be included in Eodwine's thoughts as he thinks back from the new Day to "a month ago". Let me know which way you want to go with this.
I'd prefer to work a 3-way joint post.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #14
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And what shall we do, Foley & Nog? I think we never decided whether our characters sadly missed the chance to talk (that could be easily explained) or whether we want to write a PM post now. Opinions?

I'm so glad to see both Fea and Form back, and this Hall more active than in ages. It's all so great.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #15
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And what shall we do, Foley & Nog? I think we never decided whether our characters sadly missed the chance to talk (that could be easily explained) or whether we want to write a PM post now. Opinions?
I don't think we should build a post for it as it has taken place such a long time ago, but we should probably PM each other a few times about what happened in that discussion so that we might mention the discussion in some of our posts if we happen to feel like it...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, if Nogrod would rather not, then I won't complain. It could be interesting, even if we have to insert it in someone else's post, like I did with my two above. Or we could just do what Nogrod just suggested, figure out what was said by PM and use it ourselves.

I'd be pretty much happy either way. I'd LIKE to do it, but I'd survive if we didn't.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #17
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Noggie, I guess I'm dense. What's the anguish for? Did they shoot Javan by mistake? Or one of their own horses?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #18
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Noggie, I guess I'm dense. What's the anguish for? Did they shoot Javan by mistake? Or one of their own horses?

Well I thought it would be up to Foley to decide... but I must say neither of those were along the list of possible explanations I had entertained myself...

But you might be right about the word 'anguish' being a bit strong one. Depending on what Foley comes up with as the explanation I can change the term to fit the mood better. So it's up to you Foley - I can edit the last sentences to fit your post later.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, I've set the stage for all three of the characters I have going here.

Firefoot, I hope you can (or wish to) do something with what I've provided re Rowenna.

Same thing goes for Thornden (Foley) and Stigend (Noggie) re Eodwine, and Saeryn (Foley) re Harreld.

I'm waiting for you guys now.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-03-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Legate is visiting us (meaning Lommy as well) and Rune is coming on Monday... I might have some time tomorrow evening though and I will try to fill something in.

We will come back from our summer cottage on Saturday a week from now (we leave on Tuesday) and after that the normal routines will fall on us and we will be more able to attach ourselves.

But as I said, I will try to fill in something tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #21
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fun post, Gwath.

Foley, Noggie, or Fea, feel free to beat Eodwine to the answer if you like.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #22
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fea, you've taken to reading Eodwine's mind and finding things I didn't even know were there. Maybe when I'm gone YOU should take him up.... (I'm not joking).

Formy, I really like your rendering, "Eodwinelingas" - great idea, and very fitting to both Tolkien and Anglo-Saxon culture. I think however that since there is no L in Eodwine's name, the proper rendering would be "Eodwiningas".

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-14-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Fea, you've taken to reading Eodwine's mind and finding things I didn't even know were there.
*pauses, startled*

Wait, is there something I ought not to have written?

Quote:
Maybe when I'm gone YOU should take him up.... (I'm not joking).
I'm flattered you think I'd do a decent job at it, but I don't consider myself reliable about sticking around any more. I came back this summer because I was bored. But with school starting in just over two weeks? I'm terrified of next semester and it hasn't even started.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #24
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
*pauses, startled* Wait, is there something I ought not to have written?
No, but your last two posts have gone into Eodwine's head. My initial reaction was, "Hey, what do you think you're doing!" But that was quickly followed by, "Hmmm, eennnnnterrresting."

Formy, post # 228 is a duplicate and incomplete version of post #229.

Gwath, Kara, Formy & Firefoot, I'm thinking that Rowenna and Nydfara will arrive at the kitchen the same time (roughly) as Crabannan and the others. Could make for an interesting melee..... I suppose Ginna is there too, but her writer is remorsefully absent, so we will have to just use her as makes sense.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-14-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #25
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Formendacil/lmp

I deleted the incomplete version of Formendacil's post.

~*~ Pio
Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll write something either today or tomorrow...
Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
No, but your last two posts have gone into Eodwine's head. My initial reaction was, "Hey, what do you think you're doing!" But that was quickly followed by, "Hmmm, eennnnnterrresting."
I wouldn't normally borrow somebody's mind, but I'd noticed that many of your Eodwine posts included interspersed thoughts and I didn't want to break with the pattern you'd created. I tried to keep thoughts simple/obvious/descriptive, rather than making a whole bunch of stuff up... But I can not, if you prefer.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #28
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
lmp, Fea, I've moved Eodwine and Degas to the kitchen because I seem to recall that was an idea somewhere. If you'd rather they weren't there yet then I can remove it but I can't do anything until Monday now as I'm going away for the weekend.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #29
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I wouldn't normally borrow somebody's mind, but I'd noticed that many of your Eodwine posts included interspersed thoughts and I didn't want to break with the pattern you'd created. I tried to keep thoughts simple/obvious/descriptive, rather than making a whole bunch of stuff up... But I can not, if you prefer.
Don't change a thing. I'm enjoying what you're doing.

Groin, great ideas! Thanks for stepping up with them! Your list is great! If there are any other Anglo-Saxon oriented games besides those that Groin lists, we can add those too.

Now to see what Kath was talking about....
Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #30
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Formy, I really like your rendering, "Eodwinelingas" - great idea, and very fitting to both Tolkien and Anglo-Saxon culture. I think however that since there is no L in Eodwine's name, the proper rendering would be "Eodwiningas".
Ah, that would be better. I thought it looked a little awkward... and the cognation of Anglo-Saxon would explain why.

Though it does look awfully close to "Eodwine-ninjas"
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #31
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Though it does look awfully close to "Eodwine-ninjas"
And this is a bad thing... how?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #32
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Kath, Foley, or Fea, in my last post for Eodwine I left a broad opening for any one of you to post next so as we can move this Saeryn/Degas/Eodwine drama to its next captivating installment. Who would like to go first?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I will post as soon as I am able, but I do not care of someone goes before me or if I post first.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #34
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Lommy, have you taken over writing Lčodern's character? My first instinct was to write Degas/her in a reactionary post, but I don't want to lift your character from you.

Folwren, I'd rather wait and see what Saeryn has to say before Degas gets long-winded, but it's no biggie if you'd rather me put something up.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #35
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, let's say, first come, first serve, because today has turned out quite different than I thought and I have no idea if I'll be writing anything today or not. I'll try, but that's no promise.

-- Foley
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Lommy, have you taken over writing Lčodern's character? My first instinct was to write Degas/her in a reactionary post, but I don't want to lift your character from you.
Celuien has graciously given any of us permission to use her characters while she is away. Thus, for the time being, Garstan, Garmund, and Léođern are non-player characters who may be used (with reasonable care) by any who wish to.

And yes, Kath, Ginna, Kara and any other women, even Léođern, can be in the three-legged race.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #37
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Haha! Well in that case I think Degas and Leodern should run a three-legged race together.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #38
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Yee haw! I'll get a post up for Eodwine (and perhaps Rowenna too) - who will have heard at least one word of Saeryn's closing diatribe, a word starting with "h", I believe it is. Okay, bitter enemies it is. But writing for Eodwine is going to be a hoot now. Oh, is there a horse race involved in all of this, too. ha ha!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #39
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
But writing for Eodwine is going to be a hoot now. Oh, is there a horse race involved in all of this, too. ha ha!
Told you there'd be lightning and thunder.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #40
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

In case any of you have already read my latest post between 11am and 3pm EDT, it has been changed. Firefoot & Foley, your characters are the only ones directly affected besides Eodwine.