User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Crystal Cobweb

Silmaril

NAME: Jadelen

RACE: Elf

WEAPONS: A beautiful bow and quiver of arrows given to Jadelen by her grandmother. It is very special to Jadelen, even though she never has used as she never has had reason to.

APPEARANCE: Jadelen is slim and tall, but slightly short for her kind, this fault in her appearance really does bother Jadelen. This height insecurity causes her to be standoffish at times. She has beautiful, piercing, grey eyes and particularly long golden hair which she always wears down, even though it gets in her way most of the time. Her favourite colour is purple, especially deep purple. She mainly wears long flowing dresses. Jadelen always has in her possession her favourite deep purple cloak with her initials threaded at the bottom of her cloak in golden thread.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Jadelen tries to come across as really graceful and feminine, as her mother puts great emphasis on being well mannered and graceful. Although she is the complete opposite, especially when alone or with her close friend Enpauriel, better known as Cir, who isn’t the best influence on her. She is very clumsy and graceful, even though she tries not to be. She loves to get up to lots of mischief and loves adventures. Curiosity always gets the better of her and this often gets her in many sticky situations. Being an only child Jadelen is somewhat spoilt and bossy. She is set in her ways and is unwilling to change her point of views. She can be insecure at times and this makes her come across as rather standoffish and cold even though she really is a caring and kind elf.

HISTORY: Born to Gavithion and Helanore. Jadelen is an only child and grew up in Rivendell. Her closest friend Cir left to Mithlond to visit her aunt Mithalwen. Jadelen, who became extremely bored with the absence of her friend decided to, without her mothers consent, catch up with Cir and her twin brother. She recently received a letter from Cir indicating her whereabouts, The Golden Perch Inn. Thus Jadelen went on a little journey to find her friend, hoping to find her still staying in the Inn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it is alright... I have made sure with Kath that Jadelen being a close friend of Cir is alright. If there are any problems just notify me.

~ Crystal Cobweb

LINKED TO POST #2 OF THE DISCUSSION THREAD

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-12-2007 at 02:57 AM.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hi Crystal, since it is OK with Kath I guess that is OK with me too but the letter doesn't work since the Twins arrived at the inn by chance only the previous afternoon - may i suggest you substitute some Osanwe Kenta?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Argh I knew there was something I'd forgotten to tell you Mith! Sorry. Can we do Osanwe Kenta at this young age?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It is something that depends on the closeness of the relationship between the person but it also takes more skill and practice especially to communicate over long distances ... in Incarnates transmission of thought requires strengthening to be effective. Strengthening can be by affinity, by urgency, or by authority.
Affinity may be due to kinship; for this may increase the likeness of hröa to hröa, and so of the concerns and modes of thought of the indwelling fëar, kinship is also normally accompanied by love and sympathy. Affinity may come simply from love and friendship, which is likeness or affinity of fëa to fëa.
Urgency is imparted by great need of the "sender" (as in joy, grief or fear); and if these things are in any degree shared by the "receiver" the thought is the clearer received. Authority may also lend force to the thought of one who has a duty towards another, or of any ruler who has a right to issue commands or to seek the truth for the good of others.
These causes may strengthen the thought to pass the veils and reach a recipient mind. But that mind must remain open, and at the least passive. If, being aware that it is addressed, it then closes, no urgency or affinity will enable the sender's thought to enter.

It also requires openess ...so I tend to think that young elves might be more able to communicate between themselves than with their elders - equivalent of human teenagers grunting at their parents but spending aeons on the phone or IM with friends

Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Wow, Mith you understand the teens better than I do. Anyway, I think I can get a response later on tonight, if not it'll come in the morning.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, also, what are peoples views on Half-Elves? My character's a half-elf, but I'm not sure how Tolkien had them, whether the elf traits or the human traits are stronger. I was thinking about having my character as a half elf with no elven traits and she doesnt know her father was an elf. Would that work? Just realised I really shouldnt use this character because she's in one of my books, lol. I'll created a new character based on her though, seeing as she wasn't a LotR character anyway. But now I have to come up with a new name.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I thought half-elves were a no no here?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, just in case I'll do a human ^_^ Dont know why, but I've never done a Hobbit character. Mabye I should :/ Ah, yup, just read in the character form that half elves are a no no ^_^ Well, expect to see a character description from me soon. Be it human or hobbit, only Eru knows

[edit] just saw your post Folwren ^_^ Will stick to full races. I'm so out of touch with this site, lol
Old 04-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elentari - your character bio has been posted to the character list for the inn on page 1. ~*~ Pio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NAME: Lynaata

RACE: Human

WEAPONS: A small dagger she picked up in Bree. The hilt has an intricate design, but all the jewels have been removed by thieves, the dagger discarded as it is of no value.

APPEARANCE: Lyn is tall and slim, perhaps too slim. When she arrived in Stock her hair was unkempt and in need of a thorough wash. Her eyes are dark brown, as is her long hair. She wears a simple green dress, the colour of which has faded with age. On her feet she wears an old, tatty pair of leather boots, quite obviously designed for a man with much larger feet than her own.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lyn is a very shy and timid person, due to her upbringing (see history). She believes she has no strengths, although during her life in Bree she developed quick reflexes to avoid beatings. Lyn believes nothing she does is good enough, although she does her best to please. Although she cannot write, she is good with words from listening to wealthy men talking in the inn where she used to work.

HISTORY: Lyn never knew her blood parents. The couple who adopted her believed they could not have children of their own, so when a babe, Lyn, was left at the gates of Bree they volunteered to care for the child as their own. However, when Lyn was five years old, her "mother", Tara, fell pregnant. When Tara and Peter's son, Ian, meaning "gift from god", Lyn's life changed dramatically. Her parents no longer cared for her, no longer did they shower her with gifts, for they were not poor, though nor were they rich. Tara decided that once Lyn was eleven she should work to earn her keep.

Lyn found a job as a maid at a little known inn a small distance from Bree. The work at the inn was hard for an eleven year old, but the kind hearted Innkeeper took pity on her. For five years Lyn enjoyed her work as a maid spent more time at the Inn than her home. But good things never last, as Lyn learned long ago, and so it was that the old Innkeeper passed away. His son, who took over the business, was a brutal man, and had never liked Lyn. He claimed Lyn used her looks to win his father's favour. He took it upon himself to beat her for every little mistake, even if there were none he would invent one. Her father, Peter, cared little of this, as he had always beaten her himself when he was drunk or in a fowl mood.

On Lyn's seventeenth birthday, Peter made an offer to the Innkeeper, Ronald. If Ronald took Lyn for his wife, Peter would pay him dearly, saying it would cost him less to bribe a man to wed her than it would for him to keep her in his house. Ronald, a greedy man, accepted. The beatings increased in number and force. Often Lyn would be left senseless in an unused room of the Inn, then to be punished again when Ronald accused her of sleeping on the job. Eventually Lyn decided enough was enough.

Her journey was not an easy one. She had never travelled before, had no sense of how to fend for herself, nor did she know the way. It was by chance that she stumbled upon Stock, mere days before the food she had stolen from Ronald would have run out. Her journey had taken much longer than it would for a healthy woman her age, but her Peter and Ronald had left her crippled. She found it hard to walk at any speed, at her left leg had been fractured more than once, leaving her bone prone to more injuries if she was not careful.

~~~

Woah, ok, way longer than I have ever managed to write a character description before. I love this character already ^_^

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

Oh dear, oh dear, my sincerest apologies to all the players. I'm afraid I won't be able to jump in and participate again until the 23rd. Morm sorry I made all that fuss to just leave you in the lurch it was not my intention.

Good luck with the plan's you've been formulating. I look forward to getting time to read it when i'm freed up.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)

Last edited by Mänwe; 04-18-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElentariGreenleaf
Oh, also, what are peoples views on Half-Elves? My character's a half-elf, but I'm not sure how Tolkien had them, whether the elf traits or the human traits are stronger. I was thinking about having my character as a half elf with no elven traits and she doesnt know her father was an elf. Would that work? Just realised I really shouldnt use this character because she's in one of my books, lol. I'll created a new character based on her though, seeing as she wasn't a LotR character anyway. But now I have to come up with a new name.
Hm. Half-elven? I-I...I'm not sure. The first few posts of this thread have all the rules and information and stuff about the Golden Perch. You may want to go back and read that. But this is there among other things:

Quote:
Types of characters allowed:

Hobbits
Men
Elves
Dwarves

Character types that are not allowed:

Orcs
Easterlings, Southrons, and any other men of an evil race
Animals (as main characters)
Any other creature or persons not mentioned in 'Types of characters allowed'
I'm inclined to think that half-elven characters should not be allowed. It didn't happen very often in Tolkien's books, and when it did, it was extremely special. As to what happened to the kids, well...there was always some big to do about them. Elrond and his brother, were they not sons of and elf and man? Didn't one get to choose if he were to be immortal and take after elves (Elrond) and the other that he'd be mortal? And I don't know about Beren and Luthien's children...

I would prefer it if you just made her full elf or full man.

Thanks! And welcome here! I look forward to your character and her entrance to the inn.

-- Folwren
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Groin,

Go right ahead with Treffy. lol. Looking forward to it.

-- Folwren
Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Fortinbras

Hi guys, I just wanted to know if i could join this thread. I'll be playing a Hobbit.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Fortinbras,

Yes, you may join the thread and the game! Read the first few posts on this thread, write a character description, and join in. It would also be good to read the Red Book of rules.

Welcome!

----

Groin,

I read your post...and I had thought that you'd be using Taffy differently. He doesn't work at the inn yet - still a bit young for that - change the serving hobbit to Tollers, will you? That's Tevildo's character and he is a server at the inn.

Thanks!

-- Folwren
Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #15
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Easier done than said!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I promise I'll try to involve other people in my next post. The elf is having a bit of a poignant moment right now. He's remembering some important stuff, and getting in touch with his inner self, but he'll be back to normal in no time. He might even kill the rest of the wolves.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Tiffany Aching
Pile O'Bones

Tiffany Aching has just left Hobbiton.
I haven't been on the Downs in ages and apparently my account has disappeared during one of the reincarnations of the site . . . . . so, I'd like to repost the character I'd designed for the Inn.

& piosenniel, would you please link my name to this post and not the previous one. Thanks!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

NAME: Miribelle Rushybanks

RACE: Hobbit, mostly of the Fallohide strain

WEAPONS: She carries a rather large carpetbag she made herself - one with a variety of necessary objects, large and small, tucked tightly within. ‘One never knows when a mathom might be needed!’ is her thought It could hardly be called a weapon, but were she to swing at someone and her bag connect soundly, the poor ‘someone’ might feel as if they had the stuffing quite thoroughly knocked out of them.

APPEARANCE: Tall and slender, carries herself with a certain authority. Fair skin, pale blue eyes, graying honey blond curls held back from her face with a dark blue and green striped gross-grain ribbon. Favors dark green skirts with a navy vest and crisp white blouse beneath.

PERSONALITY: Reserved; appreciates good manners and all those sorts of things that make easy a social interaction. Respectful of others; she expects the best of others and for the most part is not let down. Has a good sense of humor, loves a good joke or even the good-natured prank. She’s a gentle-lady Hobbit with sure sense of herself, of her expectations, her strengths, and of course her short comings.

HISTORY: She is a spinster, both by the fact she has never married and because her life long occupation has been centered about the spinning of wool and the weaving of fabrics. Her fabrics are much prized by the local community of Stock.

She has a little sandy colored, brown eyed pony named Cookie.

She ran a Dame School for many years for the neighboring children. But these later years she has devoted herself fully to her spinning and weaving and has opened a small fabric shop in the village where she offers for sale or barter both her fabrics and those of other weavers in the community.

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-31-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Hello Tiffany! Welcome back to you and Miz Rushybanks!

Will is seeing to Cookie.....
Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #19
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Hey all, I've been reading the posts at the Inn and I can't tell what time of day it is. I apologize that I'm so thick. Can one of y'all catch me up to date. Thanks muchly.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Elfchick7

I think it's evening, growing dark. At least that's what folwren's post implies - HERE. & the posts following it seem to indicate evening time/late supper time.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
Tam Lin
Pile O'Bones

Tam Lin has just left Hobbiton.
My Elf has bumped into some unspecified someone.

Please feel free, anyone, to speak back to him.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #22
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Alright - so, I've moved us ahead just a bit. Brought Shiriff Rusty Smallburrow to the inn, fetched by Will. I used bill_n_sam's character which I noted Pio has assigned as one that can be gently used by all now.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #23
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Rowan and Prim have pulled together a breakfast for the hungry horde. & Rowan's remembered something she saw yesterday.

I earlier mentioned a letter Cook had received from the postman (I named him Hugh - no bio done for him). I have no idea what the letter might have said - other than it upset Cook quite a bit.

Anyway - carry on!! :-)
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hurrah!!! We're moving again! I'll try to get something up a little later today.

Will's hungry; he needs a bit of breakfast first Then maybe he can go find Hugh the postman and bring him back to see what he can add about the letter.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe I can work up a little bio for Hugh and play him. How's that sound?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #26
Rose
Haunting Spirit

Rose has just left Hobbiton.
There, Arry --- now will has a portable breakfast of sorts and can go on his way.

Lilly --- sounds good if you could write for Hugh.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #27
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Moving time ahead

Lilly's working on a post for getting Hugh and Will back to the Inn.

So by the time she's posted, it should be late afternoon and by then the search party will be a number of hours down the road/river.

Hope that's alright with everyone!

I left the composition of the search party rather open. I don't know how far anyone wants to pursue that, or . . . ??
Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #28
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I've not sent Hithadan off with the search party. He is away from the inn at the moment, but should be back later in this day at the inn.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #29
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
OK - Hugh and Will are now on their way back to the inn.

You know, I was going to have Gardenia Boffin just be an NPC, but she's taking shape in my mind, so I think I'll just work up a litt character bio for her.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #30
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ok, back from holiday. So hi all! Mith, what are we doing? One of the posts said Mithalwen came in alone, so could the twins be having their little reconciliation outside in the meantime? Then we can see the search party off and start tying ourselves in a little perhaps.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Away for a while...

Well folks, the sisters will be leaving the Inn for a while, because I have to take a temporary leave of absence from the Downs. My schedule is just super busy. I hope to be back soon. Pace et bene!

--The Elfchick
Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ok, back from holiday. So hi all! Mith, what are we doing? One of the posts said Mithalwen came in alone, so could the twins be having their little reconciliation outside in the meantime? Then we can see the search party off and start tying ourselves in a little perhaps.
To pick up on the pertinent part of our Myface conversation, you can get them back together as you wish - if you want my Cir to make the first move you have my consent though he may need some sign he wont' get his head bitten off.

Just don't leave Mith alone too long And remember that Will is away I think so they will have to sort the pony for themselves but I think Dick was referred to as being in the common room so your Cir's errand will take her inside.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Snowdog, what race is your character? Have you written a character bio for him? I didn't see t linked in Pio's post at the beginning of the thread. If you haven't, could you jot one up for us please? I don't mind if you keep posting in the inn in the mean time.

I am going to write under the impression that he's a man, but if I'm wrong, I can edit my post accordingly.

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #34
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Galadriel, I don't like leaving your character sitting all by himself. Feel free to have him follow Dick over and join in the conversation.

-- Foley
Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Galadriel, I don't like leaving your character sitting all by himself. Feel free to have him follow Dick over and join in the conversation.

-- Foley
Oh, don't worry about it. That's a good pretext to make him grumpy again. And go start looking for trouble.

I'll try to post later today but I'm not making any promises.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #36
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Snowdog, what race is your character? Have you written a character bio for him? I didn't see t linked in Pio's post at the beginning of the thread. If you haven't, could you jot one up for us please? I don't mind if you keep posting in the inn in the mean time.

I am going to write under the impression that he's a man, but if I'm wrong, I can edit my post accordingly.

-- Folwren

Really??? Hmm... Darrell Largebarrel, brewer from the outskirts of Oatbarton, the oats, barley, and hops growing region of the North Farthing, Shire, in the year 1356 Shire Reckoning or 2956 Third Age. I just spontaneously created him out of my head when I posted. I assumed there were only hobbits living in the shire at the time so didn't think that would need to be stated in a bio. My apologies.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #37
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

"Name:

Age/gender/race/where from:

Appearance (very brief physical description/or as detailed as the player wishes to be):

Bits of character/history you feel might be helpful in defining the character
(again, as brief or detailed as you wish):"

While I assumed that Darrell was a hobbit from the circumstantial evidence the "new" short character bios accept the logic that while you don't look at a new arrival in a bar and know their life history you will have the evidence of your own eyes and be able to discern if they are old, young, dark fair or grizzled... whatever also if it is someone they recognise. Someone playing the local miller should recognise the baker and 2 rangers are unlikely to be strangers. It just gives a starting point for others to interract with your character and when linked an easy ref for newcomers.

So really the only new info is an indication of age and anyother distinguishing features.

I look forward to seeing how Darrell's wares compare to what is reputed to be the finestbeer in the East farthing...or maybe he is the reason that the Perch had that reputation fifty years later!!! Being fond of the occasional drop of Real Ale myself I have sometimes wondered about brewing in ME... the PrancingPony if the song is to be believed is a micro brewery but in the largers Shire market....

Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thank you, Mith, for posting the form.

Snowdog, I will edit my post to reflect your character's true identity.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Just a short note - will be on to post later this evening for me
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .