The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Minstrels are the best.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'm beginning to agree.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ok, I've settled on Frarr and Crabannan, guardian and minstrel. Find me.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Minstrels are the best.
*waves at Durelin*

You and CoD should come back too now that I'm back.

Quote:
Find me.
You have acquired yourself a stalker!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Good to 'see' you Kuru! I must say I was shocked to see that you are back in the game -- you seemed to get fed up much earlier than we did!

I'm tempted! I told CoD you've decided to give LotRO another go. Maybe if I decide to he will join me (he seems bored waiting for Skyrim). At least when I mentioned the game he didn't go off on how much of a waste of time it would be to go back...

What all did you lose after your long hiatus, Kuru? I'm assuming at least your 'VIP' status or whatever? Glad to hear your house wasn't lost, though...I was wondering about that... I haven't logged on in almost a year so almost afraid to do it.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
I was shocked to see that you are back in the game -- you seemed to get fed up much earlier than we did!
I did. Part of it was that it *can* be a really frustrating game at times (especially with constant exposure to some of the more glaring flaws) and part of it was that I'd been playing it literally for years without a break...bitter vet syndrome is real. One day it just suddenly hit me that I wasn't having fun and I didn't want to play LOTRO anymore.

After taking such a long break, its kind of fun being back. I was surprised but some people actually remembered me and said hi (one of them literally before I'd finished logging in the first time).

I enjoyed working through the latest book. Given the confines of what one has come to expect from Turbine, I thought it was reasonably well written too. Right now, I'm looking forward to the expansion coming out next week to carry on with the story.

So, in sum, yeah, I got really frustrated and I still am aware of the game's many flaws, but for the moment I've got a little bit of that "new experience" enjoyment and it is nice to talk to some old faces again. We will see how long it lasts. At the moment I don't intend to just stop playing again like I did. I also am not going to be playing anything near as often as I did in the past, for one thing I physically can't, and for another doing that will ultimately just result in the kind of burnout that I experienced already. I'm hoping I learned my lesson.

Taking the whole thing easier seems like a better idea all the way around.

Quote:
he seems bored waiting for Skyrim
Tell him I think that game will turn out to be disappointing. He knows I'm rarely wrong about these things.

Quote:
I'm assuming at least your 'VIP' status or whatever?
No, my account is still VIP. I think if you bought Lifetime before it went f2p (which, I did and if I remember right you guys had too) you are still VIP for life.

Quote:
Glad to hear your house wasn't lost, though...I was wondering about that... I haven't logged on in almost a year so almost afraid to do it.
I have to admit that not wanting to deal with trying to get my house back was a big deterrant to coming back to the couple of times I thought about it before I actually did it. However, all I had to do was go to the housing screen and pay the upkeep and I had it back.

I hope you guys decide to come back, at least for a bit. It would be nice to see you.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yea, that sounds like a good way to approach it. And yea, I miss the 'new experience' feel! It was my first MMO and I loved exploring when I first started playing. My thoughts lately have been...well, it's free...why not? What is my problem? XD Lately it has simply been lack of time, haha, but anyway...

Thanks for the info, I'm really glad to hear I'll still be VIP! And it looks like I've built up some Turbine points.

So here's the characters I have that I know I won't be replacing, lol: Rakein, Khamir, Rakien, Durelin...Minstrel, Champion, Burglar, Captain.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Tell him I think that game will turn out to be disappointing. He knows I'm rarely wrong about these things.
Liar.

And I may return to LOTRO. I'm wavering in my desire to play The Old Republic, as I don't have a ton of time and paying a monthly fee for a few hours a month is a little weird. So we'll see. I don't want to download anything again, though, and I don't want to pay for an expansion I probably won't like.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote