Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Chamber is from Old French; in other words, it's a word the Normans brought with them in 1066. Curse 'em!

The closest Old English is 'cofa' which is related to modern English, "coffin". Heh.

Other alternatives are naming the role for an aspect of it such as Cinderella; cinder girl.

I got it! Barmaid. What do you think?

EDIT: I just read your great post, Nerindel: chambermaid it is, unless you can think of a better.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-31-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LmP, I can't think of anything constructive to write for Thornden until later in the RPG day. . .so unless you're expecting some sort of reply from him sooner, I'll have to wait until you jump the time until afternoon or so. I'm fine with waiting, as long as you weren't expecting anything sooner.

-- Folwren
Old 02-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I figured I'd give you an out, Folwren, by not including something like "Eodwine waited for Thornden to respond". It occurs to me that one of the things Thornden is going to figure out is that the job of steward and that of almbudsman can't be done by one person in a 'manor' as sprawling as the Middle Emnet (which I still have to figure out on a map). So after some time, Thornden might tell Eodwine that he has discovered this, say, after coming back to the Mead hall after the sun has set some night.

I'm thinking that the next Day will be seven days after this one, unless anybody would like to have the next Day come sooner.

One other thought: usually, the action that takes place, does so in the Inn, and anything outside the Inn is reserved for afterthought. This being a Mead Hall with lands attached, we may have to allow some posts to be written away from the mead hall. For example, the almbudsman can go to a farmstead and have a talk with the freeman who owns it, and request to collect such and such a fee. Just a thought. If we handle it well, it shouldn't be a problem; this thread should help. Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

On your 'away' posts - why don't you just tag them with a bolded line above the post:

Away - Cráwham Village

or something like that . . .

Be easy to follow that way - especially if there were more than one 'away' situation happening at a time.

~*~ Pio
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Great idea, Pio! Thanks! We'll go with that then.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Forgoil? Help me out. Looks like it means something like 'bad luck'.

This is going to be interesting, Anguirel. I like how you've built tension into the Eorling Mead Hall story. Especially concerning a certail Eorl of the Middle Emnet.

You see, Eodwine of the Gap used to be a humble farmer who owned land in the Gap of Rohan; had a wife and two kids. He was called to the muster of Rohan, and went to War, but when he got back he discovered that his wife and children, and farm, had been desolated by the Dunlendings. He was one of the leaders of the reprisals (he called it justice-seeking) against the Dunlendings. So this'll be interesting.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Forgoil. Strawheads. If I remember right.