The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hell, I liked it

I saw the film over the hols and thoroughly enjoyed it -- sure, it wasn't the book, but I wasn't expecting it to be. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much of the 'added' material was actually true to Tolkien's other writings and I also very much enjoyed how the 'tone' of the movie was more in keeping with how Tolkien himself wanted to revision the book after having written LotR. I could have done without several of the scenes (which were really just Jackson being self-indulgent and nobody having the authority or balls to tell him that they really needed to be cut -- the dwarves tidying Bilbo's table, Radagast nursing the hedgehog (I mean, really!) and about half the Council-scene at Rivendell) but for the rest it was very well done. I am quite excited about the sequels.

Oh, and for the people who have been complaining that the 48 fps makes it look 'fake'...it isn't real to begin with...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
I saw the film over the hols and thoroughly enjoyed it -- sure, it wasn't the book, but I wasn't expecting it to be. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much of the 'added' material was actually true to Tolkien's other writings and I also very much enjoyed how the 'tone' of the movie was more in keeping with how Tolkien himself wanted to revision the book after having written LotR. I could have done without several of the scenes (which were really just Jackson being self-indulgent and nobody having the authority or balls to tell him that they really needed to be cut -- the dwarves tidying Bilbo's table, Radagast nursing the hedgehog (I mean, really!) and about half the Council-scene at Rivendell) but for the rest it was very well done. I am quite excited about the sequels.

Oh, and for the people who have been complaining that the 48 fps makes it look 'fake'...it isn't real to begin with...

Am I seeing things? Is that really Fordim Hedgethistle back on the Downs? and using British slang?

Welcome back, Fordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
I often worry though, whether these exquisite drawings are genuine or done on one of these computer packages that turn your photos into sketches...and I'm not that impressed by pure skill if there's no originality behind it. It's nice, but is it Art?
There are computer packages that can do that?

But then Renaissance artists often had students finish their paintings or work on small areas, if I am not mistaken, so I suppose there have always been apps for artists.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Am I seeing things? Is that really Fordim Hedgethistle back on the Downs? and using British slang?

Welcome back, Fordy.

There are computer packages that can do that?

But then Renaissance artists often had students finish their paintings or work on small areas, if I am not mistaken, so I suppose there have always been apps for artists.
On a fairly related note. There are companies that do "between work" for cartoons that is the animators of the show make image a and e which are the main poses then they outsource the actual animation bits to another studio. King of the hill had theirs done in korea(yay for dvd commentary.

Also I think "non original" drawings are great ways to practice then you can expand into doing your own stuff.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
On a fairly related note. There are companies that do "between work" for cartoons that is the animators of the show make image a and e which are the main poses then they outsource the actual animation bits to another studio. King of the hill had theirs done in korea(yay for dvd commentary.
But it has always been the practice for lead animators to draw the key frames only while juniors do the "tweening"- sounds like you're describing a variant on that.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Suldaledhel
Eru's Gift

Suldaledhel has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Quite the contrary, I'd say

I've had numerous relations practically begging for my copy of the book after seeing the movie, which is a phenomenon I did not experience during the release of any of the LoTR movies.

I was tempted to think it had to do with the general accessibility of The Hobbit vs. LoTR, but, honestly, I think people just really like dwarves these days.
Suldaledhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suldaledhel View Post
I've had numerous relations practically begging for my copy of the book after seeing the movie, which is a phenomenon I did not experience during the release of any of the LoTR movies.

I was tempted to think it had to do with the general accessibility of The Hobbit vs. LoTR, but, honestly, I think people just really like dwarves these days.
Do my eyes deceive me? Talk about a blast from the past.

That's interesting about Dwarves in general being popular. What would be the cause, if that's the case?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

After seeing the movie, my wife is now reading The Hobbit for the first time in many years.

Her first comment after starting her re-read, "I'd forgotten how many things were different between the movie and the book."
Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Suldaledhel
Eru's Gift

Suldaledhel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Do my eyes deceive me? Talk about a blast from the past.

That's interesting about Dwarves in general being popular. What would be the cause, if that's the case?
Quote:
'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.'
Turns out Bilbo was right.

As for Dwarves, I am tempted to note the stout fellows' surge in popularity amongst the video game community over the past several years, including the antics of a particular bunch of (immensely popular) video game commentators. However, I do not believe this to be the cause of the trend.

I do think a (statistically) significant measure of their uptick in recent years comes as a reaction inspired by the present social climate in many Western nations. However, this is certainly not the thread - or the forum - for such musings, and I hope our esteemed moderators will pardon this brief foray into the thickets of Off-Topic.

To return On-Topic, I think there's something to the phrase that all press is good press. In my humble, anecdotal experience, the movie has served to entice those with a fleeting interest in Fantasy to actually pick up the book, while those with no interest remain unaffected. For what it's worth, I've yet to hear of anyone refusing to read the book as a direct result of watching the film.
Suldaledhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suldaledhel View Post

Well my younger cousins who borrowed Lotr from me haven't bothered to see the hobbit despite still being in the supposed target demographic. The elder said I 've heard its a bit.. and pulled a face.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Well my younger cousins who borrowed Lotr from me haven't bothered to see the hobbit despite still being in the supposed target demographic. The elder said I 've heard its a bit.. and pulled a face.....
I can't say I've exactly had a steady stream of people beating my door down to get at my copy of The Hobbit since the film opened. Or indeed, so far, heard anyone talk about being inspired to read the book for the first time. However. I'm not sure how far you can extrapolate from personal experience in this case.