The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
WW LXXXVIII: What Lies in the Dark (Game Thread)

Opening narration should be up later today.

DO NOT POST HERE UNTIL IT IS DAY 1.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
IT IS NOW NIGHT 1. DO NOT POST.

Players
Nienna
Lottie
Dun
Nog
Bom Tombadillo
Wilwa
Nerwen
Glirdan
Boro
Lhuna
Phantom
Shasta
laurab2333
Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Game on. It's dark, and you're all afraid.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I was looking forward to playing, but then I spotted this on the Admin Thread-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGoddess
If you’re a jerk, you will be modfired.
So.... yeah. I'm dead soon.

Even if I somehow behave myself temporarily, it won't change who I am. I suspect our ModGoddess instituted that policy and then allowed me to join just so she'd have the pleasure of modfiring me no matter what I did.

I'm onto your little game, Sally!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

++Phantom for representative
Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
But . . . but . . . then I'll have nobody to blindly follow! Whhhhaaaaa! *sniffle*

Anyway, this ought to be fun, phantom or no phantom (sorry, phantom's ego). I'll probably not be posting as much as I planned to, due to the fact that I ordered a new computer game that arrived today () without thinking of how it would affect my TiG-ing. ()

Now, down to business. Phantom is obviously innocent, being infallible and all. Laurab2333 is suspicious, seeing as I don't recall her joining (was it by PM or something?), but I'll give her the benefit of newbie-doubt in hopes that I will be given the same. I'm innocent too, of course, being the Master (or would that make me guilty? Well yeah, but not of being a spider.)

Everybody else is guilty, guilty, guilty! They're all accomplices! As to who's the spider xyrself, though, that's obviously Boromir88, referred to as the "sweet prince" of the one responsible for inflicting this on us all - sally!*

*Bom Tombadillo, Inc. takes no responsibility for the truth of this message. Content may or may not be biased, erroneous, or blatant lies.

[edit] Ninja'd by the Moddess herself! Truly this is an honour! [/edit]
Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It's dark and I'm afraid!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

See, this is where the arrogance comes from. It's not even a Republic style game and I already got a rep-vote after one post. (Thanks Sally, I won't let you down! I support public funding for more beef jerky factories and promise to eradicate hermit crabs world wide!)

And how is it that this rather fresh-faced member Bom seems to know me? I realize the ego reference may have been simple reasoning based upon my sig, but he also seems to know how deserved my smugness is, as he specifically recognizes my infallability. Should I be flattered or frightened?

Of course we know Inzil has decided upon fear. Judging from his post, Inzil seems especially vulnerable to suggestion this afternoon. Hmmm... perhaps I shall test the extent of it-

*waves hand Obi Wan style*

This isn't the spider you're looking for. Move along. And fetch me a sandwich.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
So.... yeah. I'm dead soon.
But, but, I've only just caught a bad case ...this is not fair!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Basically, I'm wondering if we should treat the lynching of Spiderlings as a happy mistake (i.e. never purposefully lynch them). Shelob is the target. Always. The identification of spiderlings is only helpful in so much as it may offer a window into Shelob's thinking, or perhaps if we're lucky the Spiderling may have supported Shelob on the thread.
The game is over if we lynch Shelob, yes. But it's also over if the Spiders outnumber the Innocents. Lynching the Spiderlings would buy us more time. If we don't know who Shelob is, I'd be more comfortable lynching someone who looks like a Spiderling than taking a shot in the dark, hoping to find Shelob.
Agreed. And tp, even if it weren't the case that Spiderlings count for the... er.... colony(?), what you're saying would be no different from the old "don't lynch cobblers" argument, anyway.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay- so here's a nice little list of important facts.

SHELOB & MINIONS
  • Shelob attempts to sting each night
  • person she stings knows they're stung, but can't tell
  • the following night they join her side and can converse with her, but not other minions
  • Shelob can't reveal minions to each other
  • Shelob stung someone during Night 1
  • Stinging Sam does nothing
  • Shelob death = game over
  • Shelob + minions greater than innocents = game over

SAM
  • picks someone to protect from stinging each night
  • picks someone to cure from sting after each night
  • cannot be stung
  • loses power the night after Frodo dies
  • if he picks Frodo as cure-pick after Frodo stung, Shelob loses a night sting and Frodo & Sam can talk

DOCTOR
  • examines someone each night, can tell if they've been stung, but not role

FRODO
  • dies night after he is stung
  • can converse with Sam if Sam picks him as his bite-cure target
  • if picked by Sam for bite-cure, Shelob does nothing the next night and Sam does nothing the night after that
  • Frodo lynch makes Sam do nothing the next night

RULES IN GENERAL
  • You can NOT retract votes.
  • Double-plus & highlight all votes
  • If vote is a tie, NO ONE is lynched
  • If stung, your vote has a 50% chance of not counting the next day
  • No reveals or fake reveals
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

the moddess entertains

If you don't want to die, go watch this now. I will know if you have. There are dire consequences for not watching.

Seriously. You will be SO lame. Do you really want that?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #13
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Frodo's definitely been bitten, but I think the rest is just colour.
Ah. Thanks, Nerwen. That takes one thing off of my to-do list.

Quote:
(You know, by an interesting co-incidence, a diminutive, (very) curly-haired relative of mine was recently bitten by a spider. Made him quite unwell, too. Spooky, no? )
Must be you're playing too much Werewolf.

So I was going to proceed analysing Nogrod's posts when I realised this is not a normal game. Le sigh. Still, something useful might come out. Be right back.

Also, I'm getting nervous about Shasta and wilwa who are both slipping under my radar.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #14
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I do agree, it looks like Frodo... although I'm not quite sure I fully understand the rules. I mean what happens if Sam doesn't "find" Frodo? Does he only lose the chance of PM'ing with Frodo the next Night (even if it might be helpful for Sam to share ideas with someone innocent, it wouldn't be the end of the game as Frodo has no special knowledge anyway) or does it also mean Shelob gets a free sting already the coming Night, which would be far worse?

But I do also agree with wilwa's interpretation of the narration. I mean Sally has said I think like a few times that there are hints in the narrations and that we should be reading them. And it looks like she is sending us a message there is only one spiderling ("not being alone" referring to Shelob herself and "others" referring to us). So that's good news.

Okay, sorry. This is a bit hard day for me as I have lots of things in my hand. But I will pop in during the Day if I have time (rushing to the afternoon classes now) - and then I should be home so 2½ hours before the DL being able to play.

I try to explain my theory the next time I can be online. It seems some of you didn't get what I meant...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

An analysis of Nogrod:

Day 1
Believes Shelob would be submarine. Puts Glirdan and Lottie under "probably not voting my usual Day 1 suspects" list. Thinks the phantom makes fair points about Lhuna being stung, and would rather save her for Sam. Chooses between Glirdan and Lottie in the flurry of last-minute votes. Votes Glirdan.

Now what was that? Panic over lack of time? A sudden change of heart, despite the absence of posts from either player? Or an attempt by Shelob to save her first been-stung from the noose (which in this case would be either Lottie or Lhuna - for the sake of discussion)?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #16
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

An analysis of Nogrod:

Day 2
Believes Shelob could be among the early Day 1 voters, or the non-voters (a long list including wilwa, Lhuna, Zil, Bom, Nerwen, Lottie, Fea, and Nienna). Unsure whether the phantom's Sam survey is a good idea or not. Takes the preliminary results of the phantom's poll as an indicator that Sam probably tried to heal Lhuna, i.e. she should probably not be lynched. Defends the phantom for doing good work in the anemic village. Agrees with Lottie that Shelob would likely sting people who can stay alive for a long time. Questions Boro for being defensive in response to the phantom. Thinks Lottie and Lhuna are not spiderlings, and Fea is not Shelob. Inclined towards voting Bom for being careful and for having forged suspicions against him, but thinks he might be a spawn instead of Shelob. Thinks Shasta could be Shelob for being so quiet. Says Boro is odd for voting Lhuna. Chooses between Bom and Boro. Votes Bom.

His quite sudden trust of the phantom's plan is unsettling, as well as his insistence on not voting Lhuna on that grounds, believing her to be most likely innocent. His track record thus far of being involved in the lynching of, as well as strongly suspecting, innocents does not speak well for him at this point - but that could also go for other players. If he is Shelob, it's possible Lottie is one of his spawn or, heavens!, the phantom. Or Shasta whom he suspected of Shelobbery but did not really go after strongly. Or someone else he did not mention so much. Gah.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #17
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

An analysis of Nogrod:

Day 3
(Ah! The theory he meant involving Glirdan and Lottie was their conversation about Glirdan being visible. Huh.)

Defended his Day 1 vote for Glirdan based on the phantom and Boro expressing that they could vote for him, despite having others he suspect more. Explains that since ties end with no-lynches it is best not to spread the votes too much. Says he was pretty uneasy about Bom because it felt like Bom had orders to go after him (which I didn't pick up - I'll try to read Bom's posts after this). Has no special reason to believe that Lhuna is Shelob. Asks everyone to play with quality and take on a phantom mode.

...wait a minute. Something Nogrod said about the phantom (post #325) just made me realise something.

Some of us have been working under the assumption that someone who has been stung would likely try to get everyone's attention - most importantly Sam's - so xe could be healed and brought back to the good side. But now that I think about it, one could choose not to do that. If xe would rather be a baddie and try winning as one, then they would wait until they are completely turned and not attempt to get Sam's attention. Which means we could be going wrongly about some things.

Anyway. Back to Nogrod.

Thinks Lhuna should be innocent on Day 3, and the phantom would be of more use alive than dead. Trusts wilwa.

And now, for the main point of this series of posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
And that would indeed fit nicely with Lhuna not being a goodie as then Sam would have tried to fight against us thiknig Lhuna innocent, and Lhuna's stumbling with accusing tp is a nice additional extra - she wished to play on a suspicion over tp but failed to make the claim he tried to oust Sam (which is a possible claim) and said he tried to oust the Doc (which has no sense at all).

If I'm right about Sam then Sam was against us giving Lhuna a pass because he had protected her against the major feeling... That I think matters here. Okay. I might be wrong about Sam but I think Sally wouldn't approve me talking about Sam openly at this stage.
...I still have no idea what he was talking about.

This entails that he has an idea of who Sam is. He tried to put forth his theory on Sam yesterDay and reasons that if he's right Sam would remain safe as he can't be stung by Shelob. But in that case Sam cannot confirm his theory (because of the no reveals rule) and what we're still left with is a theory.

This is making my head ache.

His sincerity in exposing most of his thoughts for us to see is, for me, the work of either an innocent trying to make up for the relative inactivity of most players in the game, or a baddie trying to get everyone confused and distracted from lynching Shelob. Would a Noglob be so bold as to place himself within everyone's plain sight. I think he might be.

That said, he's still my best bet. But I wish I had time (and patience) to look at the others.