Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Progress summary:

Normally Gondor doesn't require bio's and first posts; however, they are handy tools and you're all used to doing them. So since that's the pattern that works, we'll use it. lmp's first posts are already up (since he was working with the characters in all three of the Inns...) He's ready.

Actually-- like lmp, my first posts aren't a problem, but-- I'm the only one who hasn't posted bios on this thread! Guess I should do that! I will write bios for Mellonin and for Mellondu (Mellon/Amroth).

Except for Mellonin's bio (Helen blushes) the entire 'Tirith Team' looks ready to me; am I right about that?

I just posted the White Horse Inn section on the game thread to give the 'Rohan Clan' a bit of a boost. (Me, too.)

MINAS TIRITH:

mark12_30:
Mellonin: Bio and First post. Ready.

lmp:
Raefindan: Bio and beyond First post. Ready.

Imladris:
Aeron: Bio and First post. Ready.
Gwyllion: Bio.

Orual:
Ravion: Bio and First Post. Ready.

ROHAN:

mark12_30:
Mellondu/Amroth: Bio and First post. Ready.

lmp:
Ædegard: Bio. First Post already incorporated; active.

Nuru:
Liornung: Bio and first post. Ready.

Aylwen:
Bellyn (Bella): Bio. EDIT: and first post-- READY!!

WOOO HOOOO!!! (as of 3-19)

LORIEN:

Alaklondewen:
Erebemlin: Bio.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-19-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Quick Question

I'm looking at a map right now, and I'm wondering which path Amroth/Mellon will be taking. Will he follow the mountains from Edoras and go through Fangorn to meet Nimrodel from due south, or will he cross the plains where he might follow the Entwash and go around Fangorn coming to the South Eastern Border of Lorien before getting to the River? Or is there a completely different way he will come?

I was thinking about either having Erebemlin do something, such as kill a stray Orc and burn its body, that the travellers would see from afar. This would just tie them together before they actually meet.

If Amroth were to come to the forest first, Erebemlin could tell him Nimrodel has been long departed, but Amroth doesn't want to listen to him still having a hope of finding her there. An argument follows and Erebemlin ends up accompanying them to the falls to prove a point maybe.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Alak, I think Amroth would go due north from Edoras, which would put him on the east edge of Fangorn; skirt the eastern edge of Fangorn; then when he gets to t he northeast corner (where the river Limlight exits the forest) he would turn north-north-west (call it 345 degree bearing) and go straight to the falls of Himrodel.

He has two reasons for skirting Fangorn; one, it's slow to travel in; and two, he found Nimrodel on the borders of Fangorn once before when she fled from the Durin's Bane chaos. He'll skim Fangorn's border, keeping an eye out for her.

However, he will be searching mentally as well as physically, scanning the forests (borh Fangorn and Lorien) for her mind, via Osanwe. I would expect Erebemlin to sense that.

(Nimrodel closed her mind long ago in despair, according to our story, and is lingering still in the Paths of the Dead... effectively sheilded from Amroth's searching, as she has been the past thousand years.)

I need to get those bios up! One thing is taht Amroth thinks his "swim" was only a few weeks ago, not a thousand years ago. ONe of the conditions for his return was that he could tell no one of his stay in the halls of Mandos. So he agreed to forget about the last thousand years (or they wouldn't have let him come back.)

I'll try to get those bios up tomorrow during lunch break. The weekend was crazy (but excellent.)

Love ya'll-- Helen
Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

BIO FOR MELLONIN AND MELLONDU

Finduilas and Fingon are the daughter and son of a once-noble famiy in Minas Tirith. Their family is now financially reduced to servant-class, and the children shy away from using their noble names, preferring their nicknames of Mellonin and Mellondu (Lightlove and Darklove, referring to their normal moods-- the girl often cheerful, the boy often moody and despondent.)

Mellonin was apprenticed as a household servant at age fifteen. She is now twenty years old and has been employed in that house for five years. Mellondu was apprenticed as a blacksmith two years ago at age fifteen and is now seventeen years of age.

They are both slender and slightly under average height, darkhaired, and grey-eyed. In normal servant's attire neither would stand out in a crowd, but both are pleasantly attractive when well-groomed. Mellonin's arms are muscular for a girl's, and Mellondu's arms are strangely wiry and slender for a blacksmith's. Both have heavily calloused servant's hands. They resemble each other very closely, so that when well-groomed, Mellonin is a handsome girl and Mellondu is a beautiful boy. Mellonin can comfortably wear Mellondu's clothes.

Mellonin is normally high-spirited and cheerful when happy, feistly and petulant when annoyed or challenged. She has learned to quell this (with some difficulty) and be submissive to those in the wealthier classes, but she will not hesitate to argue with someone she considers an equal. She is uneducated with the sense of inferiority that can bring. She enjoys singing and learns whatever songs she can, and teaches them to her brother; her voice is low for a woman, his voice is high for a man, and when singing in unison they can hardly be told apart.

Mellondu is normally softspoken, shy, withdrawn and dreamy, disliking arguments of any kind, and is used to doing what his sister suggests. He has no problem submitting to authority, and if he is unhappy with the present moment he escapes to his own dream-world. Being slender he is self-conscious that the other blacksmiths are twice his size. While he wants to be good at what he does, and is respected by those around him, he feels out of place in his profession. But he is disinclined to say so.

He cheers up out of doors and around children, and prefers wilderness to the city. He loves old songs and legends, is a bit of a romantic, and would love to go exploring if he could afford it (and had his freedom.) He loves Inns, will listen to anyone sing, and music of any kind entrances him.

AMROTH

After drowing in his attempt to return to Nimrodel, Amroth awakens in the Halls of Mandos. Expecting to be immediately returned to her, either as a child, or reincarnate in his old body, he is dispmayed when that possibility is refused. The Valar want the elves to come west, and are not willing to send Amroth east again. They order him to wait in the hope that Nimrodel will soon sail west.

She never does, imprisoned by her own grief at losing him, and wandering in the darkness between Erech and Dunharrow. Her loss of reason only harden's the Valar's determination not to let Amroth return to Middle-Earth. Determined to return to her, he in turn refuses to be born or reincarnated in Valinor. In this stalemate he subsists for a thousand years.

When the Rings of power are destroyed and the Ringbearers sail west, and the large elvish migration occurs still without bringing Nimrodel, Amroth argues that he must be allowed to return and search for her. He suggests osanwe as a compromise, and the Valar agree. under one condition: that all his memories of Valinor be supressed completely, and he return ignorant of the last thousand years.

Searching for someone to share thoughts with, he encounters Mellondu in his usually dreamy state. Mellondu's mind is wide open and submissive. In his dreams, Amroth opens his life's memories to Mellondu, who happily receives them and enjoys them, escaping into a fantasy far more real, exciting, and romantic than he could even have invented. He gladly adopts Amroth's desires and hopes and purpose. His personality is completely submerged and engulfed by the spirit and will of Amroth.

Mellondu submits so completely that Amroth quickly forgets there is another mind sharing the young man's body with him, and when the Valar finish the bargain and remove his memory of the intervening thousand years since his death, Amroth even forgets he is in another body other than his own. According to the agreement, Mandos and Lorien continue supressing any of Amroth's thoughts that might expose the strange situation he is in; he is aware of certain strange details (such as the callouses on his hands being different and thicker than they once were, and the race of men being collectively taller than he remembered them to be) but with a combination of Elvish arrogance, interference from the Valar, and his own burning focus on his purpose, he dismisses such unimportant details and grows impatient and dismissive of those who mention them. He will permit no distraction from his search for Nimrodel, and whenever he can spare attention from his immediate surroundings he is restlessly searching with his mind for any sign of her between Lorien and the Bay of Belfalas.

She remains hidden, her mind completely shadowed and shut, in the Paths of the Dead.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-17-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #5
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hey, mark12_30 , I keep on forgetting to ask you if it's alright if I don't do a first post for Gwyllion? The reason I ask is because you have a little "ready" after the people with bios and first posts....

Cheers!
Istawen

Old 03-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sure, that's OK. You can weave her in as we go by the town.

littlemanpoet is working hard under a (self-imposed) deadline of finishing his novel by the first day of spring. I've been relaxed about starting the game so as not to pressurize him any more than neccessary... but I think we do need to start soon, so we don't lose all momentum.

I think as soon as we have first posts from Liornung and Bella we'll open the game.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Apologies for the delay. Here it is, in all its humble glory. If you would like anything at all changed, do let me know and I will do my utmost.

First Post for Liornung

"'Twas a fine tune, Liornung."

The young fiddler turned to the man behind the counter and gave a little bow, mumuring his thanks and frowning thoughtfully at his bow. "I thank you, kind Master Ealdor," he said, "but I think that it sounded a bit odd. I fear that I have perhaps delayed overmuch in use of the rosin."

"Nonsense!" Innkeeper Ealdor cried, laughing a little. "You say it only to find fault with yourself, I know that much. Do you not think it would be wiser to simply accept that you had done a fine job, though in humble enough manner? Do not be so humble that you cannot see the facts as they stand before you."

The fiddler blushed at these words but continued to persist. "I do think it has been too long since my bow has last felt the rosin," he said again.

A young girl leaning against the door to the kitchen jumped forward with eagerness and touched the innkeeper's sleeve, saying, "Do not listen to him, Father, for I saw him just this morning sitting in that very corner, rosin and bow both in hand and in all truth he was not merely holding them to stare upon them."

"Miss Blostma, I fear you have me caught," Liornung said, bowing politely to her. "It does bother me to say from my own lips, however, that I played a fine tune and finer than many others before me. I think I shall content myself to merely think it." And then, sitting back in his chair and putting his boots upon the time despite the protests of the innkeeper's daughter, he began to play a soft, quiet tune, filled with such unspeakable sorrow and loss.

The inn there were inside could just barely be called that. Most simply referred to it as Ealdor's Inn, for it had no real name. It was a rare occasion when one other than a dear friend stepped into the inn, though it did sometimes happen. The inn was in a quiet corner of Edoras, and few people ever chose that inn to spend time in. Glancing around the dark room, dimly lit by the fire which threw strange shadows upon the faces of all, Liornung recognized everyone save a young woman sitting in a corner. She was staring into the fire, every so often tilting her head to the side a bit to gaze at him. She appeared quite lost and forsaken in the inn, and Liornung didn't wonder for it was almost certain nobody knew her and she knew nobody.

As he finished his tune he considered speaking to her and bringing her to know everyone in the room so as she should not feel so alone, but Old Secgrof called out to him, "Master Liornung, do you ever write songs?"

Liornung shifted his gaze from the girl to the old man sitting by the fire and, a playful little smile upon his face, replied, "Why, yes, I do, when there is anything noble enough to write about. I did write a song about the brave men who perished in a stable fire, but I was quite young then." The smile on his face growing wider, he added, "The leader of these brave men was my brother who in truth did not perish and was quite as young a lad as myself, but that would not have done for an epic tale." Old Secgrof chuckled a bit, and then he fixed and inquiring glance on Liornung. "I am under the impression that you have some special reason for asking this, Master Secgrof?" he asked uncertainly.

"Oh, not really," Old Secgrof said, shaking his head. "I was just thinking that some bard, or maybe even a wandering fiddler as yourself, should write about that crazy blacksmith."

"Crazy blacksmith?" Liornung frowned in thought. "I've heard no news of a crazy blacksmith. What is this you speak of?"

"A mad blacksmith," Blostma said, "is running north of here. The boys here in Edoras have been wishing with all their wills that they were older, for they think it would be an enjoyable sport to track him, especially as he's crazy and might be some danger."

Liornung touched the strings of his fiddle and gazed up at the ceiling of the inn. "It would be an adventure," he said. "It's been a long while since I've had an adventure. You say, Miss Blostma, that he's headed north from here? And you do mean Edoras by 'here' and not simply Rohan?"

"Yes," Blostma replied, looking a bit startled. "Surely, Master Liornung, you don't mean to follow him? It might prove most dangerous."

"I would like to follow him, but I might not wish to catch him. The following would be quite adventure enough, and perhaps I could find a few pleasant inns wherein dwelt those with willing ears for times further ahead." He put his bow to the strings again and was about to pick up another tune when Old Secgrof held up his hand to stop him.

"Master Liornung, I'm challenging you to follow the blacksmith and catch him, and when you've finished your adventure return here with your song," the old man said, his eyes locked onto the fiddler's.

Liornung was surprised. "Why, Master Secgrof, why does it mean so much to you?" he asked, hoping that his words did not sound too impolite.

Old Secgrof blushed a bit and stared at the ground, and then he murmured quite inaudibly. "The young man is crazy, that much has been said, and perhaps quite unable to defend himself against any dangers. He is heading into lands that I don't very well fancy, and I shouldn't like any harm to come to him."

"Master Secgrof," Liornung said in an awed voice, bowing quite low, "you have a most kind, compassionate, caring heart and alas that I do not have the same." He set his fiddle and bow against a chair and studied Old Secgrof's face for some time before speaking again. "You wish me to follow this young man and see he comes to no harm, if I do find him. Or persuade him to turn back, perhaps?"

"Whatever you might think is best."

"No need to look so ashamed, good master!" Liornung cried. "You are quite noble. I would readily do this if only to honor your most noble heart, but I do not know the lands well enough to track a man, and I am poor for following a map."

"I was no so serious about it," Old Secgrof said briskly. "You needn't worry yourself, Liornung. I'm sure the lad can take care of himself."

"But I cannot let one such as yourself worry so much about it. I have no knowledge of tracking, I cannot follow a map well and I only know these lands in the ways I travel them from inn to inn, I own no horse, but I will find some way to do it for your sake. I don't think I would mind going to those lands if only I knew the way. What an adventure it would be!" With shining eyes, he moved to the fire and sat himself down opposite of Old Secgrof. "You sit there, good Secgrof, and I shall sit here, and we shall think together and come up with some way to do this task."
Old 03-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shucks, Nuru, he's **adorable**. I'd set him up with my own neice...

... properly chaperoned, of course.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-17-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #9
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Bella..

Hey everyone,

Here's the first post for Bella...

First Post

Black faded into shades of grey that, in turn, smoothed into the beige-cream color of the parchment Bellyn was sketching on. The fiddler continued his tune, and Bellyn scribbled down the main outline of his body while he was still playing. Bellyn knew that if she wanted to get the proportions and body just right, she’d have to work fast before the fiddler stopped playing his lovely instrument. Of course the young man did not know about Bellyn’s drawing of him, and if he caught her staring Bellyn knew she’d blush crimson and crumple up the paper.

So, working quickly, Bellyn finished the outline of the instrument and man just as the last note began to ring and fade into the air. Bellyn sighed and put down her dulled pencil while the young minstrel began to playfully argue with the Innkeeper and his daughter about the performance. Examining at the drawing with slight disgust, Bellyn shoved it into the empty pack on the floor next to her feet, promising herself that she’d finish it later. Looking back at the table she occupied alone, Bellyn inwardly scolded herself for dallying and not doing her work. Maps were splayed out on the table in front of her, and a quill pen was left dry next to a jar of the finest black ink that Bellyn had made herself.

Bellyn returned her gaze to the fiddler, and was taken aback to find that she had caught the young man’s gaze as well. The fire flickered and lit Bellyn’s papers but she kept her attention on the minstrel, and Bellyn wondered what he was thinking so deeply about. Then his attention was called away as one patron of Ealdor’s Inn asked the fiddler about song writing. At this Bellyn turned away and went back to her papers.

Until part of the conversation being held between the fiddler – it seemed Liornung was his name – the old man, and the Innkeeper’s daughter caught Bellyn’s attention.

"A mad blacksmith," Blostma said, "is running north of here. The boys here in Edoras have been wishing with all their wills that they were older, for they think it would be an enjoyable sport to track him, especially as he's crazy and might be some danger."

Bellyn looked up from her maps for perhaps the hundredth time and smiled faintly, thinking that the boys of Edoras were certainly right in their desire for adventure. Bellyn, as an artist and a woman, had spent many years drawing and copying maps of places that her father the cartographer had been to. Yet Bellyn hadn’t left Edoras in many years, and even when she had it was not for adventure, it was not for glory.

"It would be an adventure," The fiddler, Liornung, said. "It's been a long while since I've had an adventure. You say, Miss Blostma, that he's headed north from here? And you do mean Edoras by 'here' and not simply Rohan?"

Bellyn became more and more interested with each passing moment. Oh, how she longed for a chance to be out in the world. Bellyn could recite any coordinates of any place in Middle Earth, and could recall lore of places long gone and countries faded and lost to the memories of normal men, but Bellyn had never been to any of them. Still, Bellyn knew what her father (who was away, like always) and brothers would say if she suggested or even hinted at her traveling off on some wild goose chase. Bellyn knew they would say naught for a while, then laugh, then ask if Bellyn had lost her mind.

For a few minutes the conversation became lost to Bellyn, and she began packing up her maps and readying for home. She wanted to speak to the fiddler, though, to find out what he knew or what he thought of the “crazy blacksmith” situation. Before Bellyn could stand from her seat or do anything, something else in the conversation caught Bellyn’s attention.

"Master Liornung, I'm challenging you to follow the blacksmith and catch him, and when you've finished your adventure return here with your song," The old man smiled slyly for just a moment, but then locked glances with the young fiddler.

Inaudible mumbling ensued, and Bellyn tried her best to listen and make certain that she did not miss anything important. What Liornung said next made Bellyn smile and made her glad that she was so well acquainted with the geography of Middle-Earth.

"You are quite noble. I would readily do this if only to honor your most noble heart, but I do not know the lands well enough to track a man, and I am poor for following a map."

I know the lands well enough! Bellyn cried to herself, excitement beginning to show on her pale face and color beginning to come back to her freckle-dusted cheeks. And I am the best at following a map, even if it is one of the few things I am good at!

"You sit there, good Secgrof, and I shall sit here, and we shall think together and come up with some way to do this task."

The young artist knew it was time for her to speak, and she knew it as well as she knew the exact distance from Minas Tirith to the lands of ancient Lothlorien. Bellyn grabbed her pack of maps and slung it over her shoulder before leaving her spot by her table and shyly walking up to the fiddler Liornung.

“You do not need to think for long,” Bellyn began, getting Liornung and Secgrof’s to turn and look at her. “I can help! I’m a cartographer,” Bellyn knew it was a bit of a lie, for she had never really been anywhere, but she told herself hesitantly that knowing where everything was on a map was almost as good as having been there anyway. “I’m a cartographer, and I know all the lands of Middle-Earth! I can help you track any man you must find, Master Liornung!”

---

Helen or Nuru, let me know if you want this changed or expanded in any way. I worked around using and making up dialogue for Liornung, Nuru, so that I didn't do anything wrong with him that he wouldn't do.

-Aylwen
Old 03-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hooray! We are good to go for the Minas Tirith group and the Rohan group!

Erebemlin can put up a first post anytime his author is ready... Since he won't be encountered (strictly speaking) til Lorien, that gives Alak a bit of time.

Tomorrow, I will start moving the first posts to the game thread, and give the whole thing one last edit. After that I'll open the game.

EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Old 03-20-2004, 06:30 AM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Boots Game Open!!!

****clear ringing of silver trumpets****

Glad I am to announce that "Tapestry of Dreams" is open for play!!

To quote The Conspirators Unmasked:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

With Foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day!

Well, those from Minas Tirith will be walking, but... you get the idea.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-29-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield littlemanpoetbusy

Hi-- lmp has asked me to get Ædegard started on his way, so I'm doing to find him some horses and victuals, and send him north.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:02 PM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thumbs up ....and they're off!!!

Wow.

You guys rock... what a team.

**Wow.**

I'm off to an appt-- I'll check in again late this evening-- but don't slow down for me!!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #14
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
I hope to have a Bellyn post up late late tonight or tomorrow after track! Sorry for the slight delay...

Nuru -- Liornung is so cool!

-Aylwen
Old 03-23-2004, 08:18 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe disguises

I forget where we left off in terms of "will Ravion know when they start out that Mellonin is female"--- but that's why I had Mellonin get suddenly shy about going to Ravion's table. Feel free to either bring Raefindan into the conversation or sidetrack him...
Old 03-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #16
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

lmp-- fun stuff! How long is Ravion going to sit on Aeron, I wonder... Ravion's a stocky, solid fellow, and Aeron isn't!

And Ædegard-- ooooo, cranky!

I love it.

How about we toss the idea of trying to fool either Ravion or Aeron with Mellondu's disguise in her brother's clothes. It'll just be her way of travelling incognito, but the troop will know. Aeron can still threaten to spill the beans-- in a village, or wherever they are when he decides his sister should come too.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #17
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Dare I say these words? Poor Aeron! Nah, just joking of course. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

And speaking of Mellonin trying to fool the troop or whatever we decide, how exactly is Aeron going to get in the troop, if ye don't mind me askin'?

This has been absolutely great so far....

Cheers!
Istawen

Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #18
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I'm still not thrilled. I may have Raefindan get a dream about the womenfolk and then have the menfolk themselves head into the mountains where they meet. I see your point about Minas Tirith's point of view, but maybe the various women need to have their own personal reactions to it. Eowyn certainly didn't want to be cooped up. O'course, one could argue that Gondor and Rohan are two completely different cultures. Do you argue that? If so, then Leafa may have a different point of view than, say, Mellonin....
Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Their own personal reactions: of course they would; and Leafa would not be beholden to anyone but Ædegard; and Bella wouldn't be beholden to anyone but Nethwador and (to a point) Liornung.

But I think you are overlooking the concept of a woman's honor. Eowyn was riding in a man's disguise to seek death in battle-- to gain a man's honor without sacrificing her womanly honor. (Obviously, if she tried to seduce anyone, her cover would be blown.)

Let's think for a minute about the women who traveled in LOTR.

Arwen: Rivendell to Minas Tirith-- had her father with her.

Galadriel: Lorien to Minas Tirith, and then back again-- had her husband with her.

Eowyn: was disguised as a man. (As indeed Mellonin has been for much of the journey, for a similar reason.)

Without a relative or a spouse travelling with her, and perhaps a handmaiden to be a witness of her good behavior, a lady's reputation would rapidly deteriorate into that of camp follower. For that reason, a lady would shun the situation unless honor demanded otherwise (such as, my brother is MISSING, and we can't afford to hire a team of rangers to hunt him down.)

Al the menfolk with the possible exception of Nethwador, would know this.

I'm not saying that we have to have all three women cross the mountains (I did think it was a cool idea, but I'm willing to let it go.) What I am less willing to let go is that if they leave the city (and obviously they all will) on the quest, we've got to get around that question of "Why are these women on the road", cleanly and with their honor somehow intact. "Lost in the mountains" was one way.

Other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #20
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, the women's honor issue is now understood. It's a worthy point.

Celuien has expressed interest also now.

Now then. If the party separates into men leaving first, then women later, the women's honor issue gets even more dicey than if the women leave with the men.

All that needs to be done, then, seems to me, is for the women to have a good reason to leave Minas Tirith for, say, Dol Amroth or some other location, under the protection of these brothers and their friends. Thoughts?

I rather think anyone's thoughts might help at this point, including Nurumaiel, Alaklondewen, Aylwen, Feanor, Celuien, and Formendacil, if you are so inclined. I hope I am not being too froward with that invitation.....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Celuien has expressed interest also now.
Ah, good; and welcome.

Quote:
All that needs to be done, then, seems to me, is for the women to have a good reason to leave Minas Tirith for, say, Dol Amroth or some other location, under the protection of these brothers and their friends. Thoughts?.

Quote:
I rather think anyone's thoughts might help at this point, including Nurumaiel, Alaklondewen, Aylwen, Feanor, Celuien, and Formendacil, if you are so inclined. I hope I am not being too froward with that invitation.
Indeed you are not being too forward. The thread is too quiet! Thoughts, reactions, opinions, comments... catcalls?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
wolf-whistles at mark...

Instead of concentrating on positive reasons for the ladies to leave, why not consider the half-empty glass and think of reasons that it would be less appropriate for them to stay?

PJ was able to bring women and children to his Helm's Deep because of pure physical danger if they were left behind. The ladies don't have to be in danger, but if there is a reason legitimate enough that they can't stay, there won't be as much fishing for reasons good enough to pull them along. Does that make sense?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #23
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm afraid a PM is the only way I have access to Imladris. I'll send one, but don't hold out much hope. I guess we'll have to carry him & Gwyllion.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #24
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm on vacation June 15 to June 20. My computer access will be limited.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #25
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Enjoy!

It's my turn next week.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #26
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Have a nice and relaxing vacation, lmp.

If we don't get a reply to the pm to Imladris, I believe she has a blog. I can try that in case she doesn't receive email notifications of private messages.

And may I ask...did we start the game off too soon? Is everyone busy right now? I know we wanted to get it going because people appeared motivated. Do you all mind checking in just to let us know?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #27
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm here and ready.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 AM   #28
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I don't have time now, but Tharonwë wouldn't be such a fool, not before such a formidable Elf as Arwen. He would not try to command Elessar, much less Arwen, as to what to think of the others. His way would be more subtle, to suggest and imply rather than baldly state. More later.

EDIT: I'm wondering about the osanwë between Elessar and Arwen. Is osanwe harder for the two than talking, or not? Passing information in the midst of counsel before others would be quite handy, and I can see that happening. I can also imagine that Aragorn would not find it necessary to give Arwen a somewhat scolding "I know", however mild, as it stands to reason that if they are communicating mind to mind, she would know what he knows. It must be remembered that the only communication at length that we have, from Tolkien, is the Appendix story of Aragorn's death and Arwen's bereavement. Did they communicate mind to mind there, or did they speak? If the spoke, one wonders how difficult osanwe is as a mode of communication? Surely easier for Arwen than for Aragorn? Are there any definitive answers for these questions, or are we going to have to come to a consensus opinion? Or does Helen want to make a ruling?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-06-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #29
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hmmm. What lmp said. As originally written, Tharonwe was sowing suspicion, which I think is more likely.

Judging the heart is a common theme in Tolkien, and both Arwen and Aragorn would see that Erebemlin and Taitheneb are elves who can be trusted. And one look at Tharonwe's heart would show otherwise. I doubt Tharonwe would open his mind at all; too risky; yet if he doesn't open his mind, he therefore arouses suspicion.

Perhaps Tharonwe might begin with something along the lines of, "The Marchwarden speaks of that which he knows and sees."

EDIT: Cross-posting with lmp's edit.

I do think humor between the king & queen would be subtle, perhaps the sparkle of an eye or the hint of a smile.

We know Aragorn did the contest-of-wills thing with adversaries (Mouth of Sauron comes to mind) and we know that Arwen watched over Aragorn from afar; so conversational osanwe is plausible between them. That they also spoke to one another is, I think, clear in the the appendices, at the very least the day they met. (Tinuviel!Tinuviel! ...Why do you call me by that name?)

(pov comment) Indeed, unless the narrator of the tale (I think we'd assume in this case Erebemlin or Taitheneb) were privy to the conversations, how would it make it into the book in the end? (a faux pas I've repeatedly committed, I must admit.)

I'll reread the post, and reconsider the subtlety issue. You might want to let the reader interpret some of what they might be telling each other by outward physical hints; glances, smiles, sparkling eyes... there's plenty of that in Tolkien, both in the ride back to Rivendell/Lorien, and in Rivendell itself (Arwen's piercing glance, etc.)

Last edited by mark12_30; 07-06-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #30
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
I've edited my post at Alak's request to include confrontation with Tharonwë.
There may have been a misunderstanding, so I apologize if it was my doing. I was not asking for direct confrontation to be written into the scene, but rather there was a statement written that had Tharonwë thinking that there was no way whatsoever he could even attempt Osonwë with Elessar. I was merely asking for room to be made for Tharonwë to attempt it based on PMs between lmp and I. (I didn't specify whether I meant the Osonwë would be attempted during current post or future, but I was hoping to get lmp in on the action.)

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

As to the Osonwë between Aragorn and Arwen, the way that Formy has written it, it appears that Arwen is using it and Aragorn is not...similar to the way the elves have communicated with Nethwador throughout the story. She is entering his mind and speaking and then reading the images there along with his facial expressions. I think the way it's written Aragorn is being read by his wife rather than sending his own thoughts and entering her mind. That's my impression, but I'm going to pull out my Appendices and see if anything is revealed.

EDIT - cross posted with Helen's edit.

I agree with your suggestions reagarding subtle glances and gestures. The subtle things within the story will be one of the things that keep the reader interested.

Last edited by alaklondewen; 07-06-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #31
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Initial re-reactions with respect to Tharonwe's ploy--

Perhaps, instead of the attitude of cold command, Tharonwe might assume a humbly, gently submissive air, combined with a slight whiff of "injured victim whose plight would be misunderstood by these other elves who are unable to understand all that he has been through." (This is partly true, after all.)

If he can make it a sort of Maglor story-- I've been singing my grief to the river for so many centuries that I've gone moonstruck, sort of thing. While Tharonwe would not want to mention Amroth, nevertheless, having been exiled by a long-forgotten conflict over an unrequited love might, if played correctly, win him sympathy from Aragorn and Arwen-- as long as he doens't reveal the parties involved, and can justify his actions.

To pull that off, he'll have to work hard at a couple of things-- covering his own mean streak for one; and two, covering the details of the history he was involved in.

There's the rub; his actions were unreasonably nasty, and just really really hard to justify at all; there I draw a blank.

I guess the other choice is, to do a Morgoth-- lay low, look repentant, let himself be imprisoned in a "minimum security " area; and then work his osanwe on the guards, etc, and get out that way.

lmp?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

cross posted with the edits of cross postings of edits

..... EN GUARDE!

Hee hee hee!

Formendacil, if your morale survives this maelstrom of opinions I'll be impressed! Don't take it personally...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #33
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
..... EN GUARDE!

Hee hee hee!

Formendacil, if your morale survives this maelstrom of opinions I'll be impressed! Don't take it personally...
My morale's fine... but my mind's slightly confused...

Assuming I make sense of all these suggestions... I'll go back in and re-edit somewhat again... although I'm well aware of the fact that I'll never please everybody.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #34
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've made a narrative post to move things along. You will find a link in my signature that shows our agreed-upon plot outline to finish up this part of the story.

The only things left to do on THIS thread are:
1. Have the meeting between Mellondu and Elessar (which I can edit into the beginning of my recent post)
2. Erebemlin's talk with Mellondu's parents.
3. Any fleshing out of characters as their writers see fit, considering the events I've narrated.

If anything I have written needs to be revised to fit better with your characters, please let me know and I will do it. But at least now we have a much more limited plot outline to trudge through. Hope you don't mind my initiative-taking.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #35
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

alak's post

Helen, would you mind posting this to the discussion thread?

Thanks to lmp, first of all for stepping up and hurrying the plot along. As
to the things that need to be finished for this book, are the women still
going to take off at the end of this book or will they do that at the
beginning of the next? The men would then find out after they leave by
Aeron's vision of Gwillion? I believe we all liked the idea of the vision
but I'm just hashing out details.

If the ladies go at the beginning of Book 2, then we only need to finish the
details of the men leaving and the possible escape of Tharonwe. I will try
to get a post for Iorgil written tonight as time allows. I have a Tae Kwon
Do class tonight, so if it's not possible I'll get it tomorrow tonight and
send to Helen on Wednesday. It finally seems as though the end is in sight
for Book 1...that's quite exciting!

It will still be another couple of weeks for me before I get a computer.
I'm looking at the first or second week in September, so pray that nothing
comes up that takes that money.

~Alak
Old 08-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Ends of books are all about tying up loose strings. Beginnings of sequels are all about adding new wrinkles or better yet turning plots on their heads or, better yet, snipping the yarn in just the right place so that the entire thing unravels in just the right way.

So I think the women should envision and leave in the new book.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #37
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
1. Have the meeting between Mellondu and Elessar (which I can edit into the beginning of my recent post).
I was assuming Formendacil would carry that part-- but I admit confusion on my own part when I saw it summarized, and only just realised that "edit into the beginning of my recent post" could mean "expansion and detail added."

Formendacil?....

Quote:
2. Erebemlin's talk with Mellondu's parents.
*draws a blank* Er, what conversation, and what's left to talk about? I had imagined much gathering of provisions, and the decision as to who is accompanying Erebemlin and Mellondu?
Quote:
3. Any fleshing out of characters as their writers see fit, considering the events I've narrated.

If anything I have written needs to be revised to fit better with your characters, please let me know and I will do it. But at least now we have a much more limited plot outline to trudge through. Hope you don't mind my initiative-taking.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #38
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

i took the liberty of writing

Quote:
then we only need to finish the
details of the men leaving
That part.

It's short, but sometimes less is more.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #39
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
I was assuming Formendacil would carry that part-- but I admit confusion on my own part when I saw it summarized, and only just realised that "edit into the beginning of my recent post" could mean "expansion and detail added."

Formendacil?....
Pardon! Pardon! I beseech thee all for pardon!

My apologies, over the past couple weeks I've been exceedingly busy... getting myself moved from home, to college, settling into college, and although I've been here for a while now, there was no real Internet access for the better part of a week, due to a silent retreat. Whatever the excuses (and they are many and varied) I've been letting Tapestry slide...

In my defence, I DID say to give me a nudge or poke when it's my turn. As the junior member of an august and esteemed hierarchy, I'm not really going to be taking a lot in the way of presumptions at the moment- though as time goes on and I shift to Bergil (whom I can play with more than Elessar) that'll hopefully change.

Anyway...

Give me a day or two, and I shall strive to do my best in getting a post up for Elessar et al.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #40
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Nicely done, Immy.
Aye, T'was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
due to a silent retreat.

Trying to make me jealous, eh??? It'll never work. Never I say.