The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
Logan Evans

Boots who is the barrow wight????

hey! i read the books, but there is one thing i don't remember. Who is the Barrow Wight? Tell me what was significant about him! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Barrow-Wights were [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] dreadful [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] spirits that inhabited the Barrow Downs in the Old Forrest. The four hobbits were passing the place on their way to Bree and nearly got killed (sacrificed ??). Frodo saved everyone by cutting the hand off the Barrow-Wight's long arm and calling for Tom Bommbadil.

I just hope Mr Barrow Wight here is not so blood-thirsty.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Barrow Wight is the ugly fat guy that runs this board [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

^^ This is a misguided and feeble attempt at humor ^^
Gimli's account has been closed.

Ha! Just fooling!
Knock off the nonsense you creepy dwarf or it will be real next time! <- notice there is not a smiley face

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 06-29-2002, 07:12 PM   #4
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Ai...Gimli...... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
"They're Elves," said Sam. "Can't you hear their voices? "
"Yes, they are Elves," said Legolas, "and they say that you breathe so loudly that they could shoot you in the dark."
Sam hastily put his hand over his mouth.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 07:15 PM   #5
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

....and, yes, Gimli, I saw the ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). It's a good thing some of us know you're joking....
Quote:
Out of the shadows a ladder was let down. Legolas ran lightly up, and Frodo followed slowly; behind came Sam, trying not to breathe loudly.
The Beginnings of My First LOTR-Based Story [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-30-2002, 08:09 PM   #6
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Caradhras has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Caradhras Send a message via AIM to Caradhras
Silmaril

Halo~
Don't know, haven't read the books yet but I'm going to, I promise. I've just been kinda busy lately that all. I'll work on it though. Talk to you soon. Laters~!

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/serv...tz/grommit.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/animals/bl_paw.gif
Caradhras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:32 PM   #7
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Samwise - I couldn't get your link to work! (Maybe the server was down?)
Old 07-01-2002, 08:36 PM   #8
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Aw....man. Let me try it again.
Quote:
Sam sat silent and said no more. He had a good deal to think about. For one thing, there was a lot to do up in the Bag End garden, and he would have a busy day tomorrow, if the weather cleared. The grass was growing fast. But Sam had more on his mind than gardening. After a while he sighed, and got up and went out.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:36 AM   #9
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

if you want to know who the barrowwight that runs this thread is check this out: the barrowwights history
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:55 AM   #10
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

The Barrow-Wights were Evil Spirits from Angmar (where the witchking used to rule), that came to Tyrn Gorthad (Barrow downs) after the war of the Dunedain against Angmar. After the barrows were filled with Dunedain, the Wights inhabited them, and tried to entrap people (like the Hobbits), and sacrafice them [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]. Luckily for the hobbits, Frodo cut off the arm of the Wight [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img], and started singing Tom Bombadil's song. Tom came to the rescue, and the Hobbits took the swords (that turned out to be VERY useful in ROTK), while Tom took the rest of the wealth. Hope that answers your question. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2003, 05:48 PM   #11
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

And if you want to know where this is in the book- it's Chapter 8- Fog on the Barrowdowns.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:45 PM   #12
Morgoth the Great
Haunting Spirit

Morgoth the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i read in unifinished tales that they were evil spirits that were slaves to the Witchking.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:58 PM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
while Tom took the rest of the wealth
But Tom didn't take the rest of the wealth. He took a single brooch for Goldberry and left the rest on the hill for any wanderers to find.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:18 AM   #14
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, to be dispersed and spread, so that the power of the Barrow would be scattered. (Although I think if I had found the great heap of gold lying in my path, I would probably have come back and taken most of it myself [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

The Barrow-Downs lay in what had been the Arnorian dominion of Cardoloan, overrun by Angmar and the corrupted hillmen that had taken over in Rhudaur -- towards the end of the Third Age's first millenium, I believe. Thus Arthedain was left as the only remnant of the Numenoreans in the North. The Downs -- either of the slain in the war, or already being a burial ground previously, contained many 'barrows' or tombs of fallen kings and lords. It is thought that, after Cardolan had come into the control of Angmar, that the Witch King sent down some sort of evil spirits to animate the bodies of the dead kinds and lord of Cardolan and to haunt the mounds they were buried in; the Wights are these. The Barrow-Wight that siezed the Hobbits and which presumably had its spirit driven out of it by Tom was this, the haunted body of some captain or baron -- perhaps evn a king -- of Cardolan or Arthedain.
The host of Earnil and Lindon passed over them, they hid, and they were left behind in the ruins of Arnor long after Angmar was defeated. No power existed to drive them out, except of course for Tom Bombadil; why he didn't is unclear, unless he simply saw no purpose in doing so (which seems to be his most common excuse for his various inactions). The Rangers were left to guard Bree and the Shire against them.

edit: Hmm I had a feeling there as if I was an old greybeard, telling a story to some assembled children... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] thoroughness I spose.

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Gwaihir the Windlord ]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote