View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 09:34 AM   #26
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Earendilyon: The word for potatoes in German is "Kartoffeln", but in Swiss dialect "Härdöpfel" which is the same as the French "pommes de terre".

But I am still not happy with the Translation of the names. As Tolkien wrote
Quote:
this is an English book and its Englishry should not be eradicated. That the Hobbits actually spoke an ancient language of their own is of course a pseudo-historical assertion made necessary by the nature of the narrative
The New German translation by W. Krege goes even farther: not only translating the Place- and Personal Names of the Hobbits but changing their style of speech so that they speak a slang like the young people in Germany TODAY - which results in destroying not only the local colour but the whole atmosphere.

What do you think about these examples:

(About Gandalf) "G for Grand!" They shouted and the old man smiled.

is rendered as: "G wie g...!" riefen sie und der Alte grinste.

g... can only mean "geil", a rude word which teenagers nowadays use if they're enthusiastic. Why else should they print 3 dots?
"Der Alte" is much less respectful than "Der alte Mann" (as it should be.) And finally "grinste" means "grinned"! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

About Galadriel speaking to Sam before he looks into the mirror:

"Like as not" said the Lady with a gentle laugh. is rendered as:
"Na klar!" sagte die hohe Frau leise kichernd. kichernd = giggling ! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

It really pains me to read such things! And to think of all those young readers who ONLY know this version!! It's a crime in my eyes. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]