Thread: LotR - Foreword
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #86
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry that I didn't get to this thread sooner. But it is just that I have been so busy recently with things that I just haven't had the time.

I have read the Foreword everytime I have read LOTR, and even sometimes I have read it multiple times through. I find it to be very insightful, and interesting, and actually worth the time to even the regular reader.

As others have said the 2nd edition prologue is very much influenced by what Tolkien was going through at the time (i.e. massive fandom). Like for example at the end when he talks about all the "comments and enquiries" he has received from "attentive readers". At this time he was being bombarded with letters, people coming to his home, and phonecalls (some directly from the U.S.) at the most unconvienant of times. All of this activity would most definitely effect your opinion towards your work of writing (especially because he was such a quiet gentleman).

I also must bring up this quote because to me it is just so brilliant...

Quote:
Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.
I just love how he was so truthful, and candid when he wrote this. We learn that the story was taken in by the public, in a way that he didn't expect (i.e. the entire section on alligory). We also learn about the actual writing process, and how long it took for him to eventually finish his masterwork. It is only 3 1/2 pages long but it tells a ton about the person behind the story.