Thread: LotR - Foreword
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 11:54 AM   #35
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Quote:
Why, in the first forword does he point out that:

‘ it is not yet universally recognized as an important branch of study.’

(implying that it will be, & perhaps also that it should be).

But then go on to say:

‘It has indeed no obvious practical use, and those who go in for it can hardly expect to be assisted.’
I don't see this as a contradictory statement, given its context. Rather I see it as an oblique reference to those studies in which Tolkien was engaged that are recognised as important branches of study, and which kept him away from his manuscript for months at a time. 'I am not complaining about my lack of leisure,' says Tolkien. 'But the academic community has yet to legitimise the subject that we find so interesting; so we can expect no help from them in our studies.'

It is interesting that Tolkien expands upon the pretence of having translated a history by presenting his 'history' as a minor and unregarded academic subject, deprecated by the establishment and yet awaiting a resurgence. This is a common occurrence in the academic world, and Tolkien's own area of expertise is suffering because fewer and fewer people nowadays can see the value in studying ancient languages. If you want to learn Gothic, you will probably find that you can expect little help; and if you compile a set of translations, the chances are that it will have to be done in your spare time and take second place to paying work.

As for wanting The Lord of the Rings to be true, I can see what you mean. Personally I find pretend history amusing; and particularly so when the author throws in knowing digs against his own work by criticising the 'author' or the 'copyists' of his source. Whilst I'm content to see the story as a work of literature in an unusual vein, it is nice in more fanciful moments to imagine that it could be true, and that one day someone may find the Westron Rosetta Stone and set to publishing great tracts of unknown Endorian history. Certainly, although the later foreword is more useful as a guide, the earlier is a lot more fun. I agree with Child that it makes things seem as though Tolkien and the reader are co-conspirators or at least fellow scholars in an esoteric and obscure field; and that is the impression that I think he intended to convey. The second foreword is, I think, intended to reach out to those people whose letters Tolkien had not had the opportunity to answer; to explain a few points about the work and to set people on the right road to understanding it. In order to do this, Tolkien had to drop the mask of the translator and admit to his authorship, thus losing the opportunity to take the new comments in the same direction as the old. Perhaps this is also an admission that his histories were becoming for many an important branch of study, and one in need of some sober academic guidance from its leading authority.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-09-2004 at 03:00 AM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote