Thread: LotR - Foreword
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 12:56 PM   #19
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
In an effort to open this thread up a bit further (and avoid heading once more down the canonicity road. . . ) -- I would really like to hear what other people think Tolkien is identifying in the Foreward as the important themes of his work. As has been pointed out here, this foreward was written about 10 years after the appearance of LotR: what in that time has Tolkien decided his book is 'about'??
At last, an attempt to slide oh-so-secretely back into this debate. The theme of this 'thematic epic' is again stated with uncharacteristic bluntness, and the odd lack of Prof T's usual eloquence. He states, in one of the first paragraphs of the Foreward, his generic motive, not quite as grand as some may have speculated, which I could use as inadvertant defense for my last ill-stated point. Mon amis, Observe:
Quote:
The prime motive was the desire of a tale-teller to try his hand at a really long story that would hold the attention of the readers, amuse them, delight them, and at times maybe excite them or greatly move them.
So, thus is the desire of so many of the world's simple authors. The desire, at least that conveyed in the Foreward, was simply to be an appealing work of dramatic, and now considered epic, fiction. Holding attention was an easy feat, though I suppose the humble professor didn't consider his achievement so great. Now, as I said, and continue to say, again and again, with utter resoluteness, there have been those who think more, or less, or in between of Prof. T's motives may simply look to this phrase. It has a curt simplicity, does it not? Though it is phrased with so much less of the dramatic, and often melodramatic flourish we might be used to (i.e. to try his hand at a really long story: Does that not sound somewhat less contived than the accustomed), it has a similar beauty, considering. When one thinks that the man who 'contrived' such a world, had such a simple notion originally in mind. The mind boggles (or, at least, mine does).

P.S. Estelyn, I believe the above quoted was a misplaced paraphrasing of my own. The point was the one I'd intended. Thank you for pointing that out, since the whole tirade does sound foolish with the wrong quote attached to it. Wait, does that make an ounce of sense? I'm not entirely sure myself. Must rummage some more, for I have bewildered myself. The correction is there, but I know not where exactly there is.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote