View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Silmaril

I would like to say one technical thing first, these "outside" or "bonus" or rather "forward" threads, or how could I call them, are dangerous in the way that it is hard to spot that they have been posted to. Oh how happy I am that I noticed this. I certainly would like to join. It is a great way to keep one reading also, I started reading LotR in the past several years, yet I always stopped at some times and then I just randomly picked something to read or continued in the same course very slowly. I find the chapter-by-chapter idea actually absolutely wonderful, also that it keeps the focus of people together. And, mainly, I think this thing contributes to the collective feeling of the Downers as a group. Great you decided to revive this, Esty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
If you join me in posting, don't worry whether things were already said way back several years ago - this is a fresh start, growing on the "leaf mould" of the previous discussion. A number of you weren't around back then - this is your chance to write what you think and feel when you reread LotR!
Well for myself I don't even want much to read what was posted before (aside from the introductions, of course), because it would probably only frustrate me to think of something and realise it was posted several years ago, so even a person cannot seriously reply to it because also about fifty people replied on that before, I know, I know - I would really like to start from scratch. It would be even nicer to start completely new threads for that, however it is of course clear that that's not affordable, as it would create only confusion and make the thoughts divided and unable to connect for potentional reader. You know, unless you decided to form some sort of "overall and always repeating BD schedule" that will go over and over again, so that even the new members could join this in any time and not depend on the luck that someone revives the old threads... when one reading would end, the new will immediately start, and it could go in circles like, for example, Reading 2008, Reading 2009 or similar (well, if it took only that long, of course... but you know what I mean). Like, you know, I thought about the liturgical years some churches have, or the Jews have a system of reading Torah that divides the text for them into daily readings, so they read all the books once a year (or in three years) and then they may start anew. I am not much of a fan of the scheduled and ordered things (and rules, mainly), but like I said, if the reading was made scheduled in this way (weekly, let's say, as was the original Chapter-by-chapter) and it was ordered to be repeated once the last reading finishes, well, that would grant the option for all, even the new members, to participate in it...

I don't know why I actually wrote it here, because the more now I think of it, it seems rather silly to me, but whatever, it's an idea and that's always good to post rather than be silent.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote