View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 02:50 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
The knowledge that the name could be harmful to the Nazgul? I'm not sure, but I think Aragorn might be being sarcastic when he says that. In other words, no point attacking them with weapons, you may as well shout names at them for all the good it will do.

That interpretation would be more in-character for Gandalf than Aragorn, I'll admit, but it still seems valid nonetheless.

The name Luthien definitely csme from Aragorn's story.
I don't know why Aragorn would be sarcastic at that point, at least that is what never occurred to me. As Hui quoted, he says "More deadly to him was the name of Elbereth." That does not sound to me like sarcasm. You are anyway right that Aragorn is not even the type to be sarcastic, and certainly not in such a situation where they're having half-dead Frodo. He is being very serious.

I find it very interesting that Frodo adds the name of Lúthien at the Ford - I would imagine that it is his own "upgrade", a try if, perchance, since the name of Elbereth seemed to "work", adding another big name from Elven mythology might produce the same effect. He probably remembered it because he recently heard Strider's story about Beren and Lúthien. Maybe he even figured that since the name of Elbereth last time got rid of the Witch-King, but not quite (he still managed to hurt Frodo), perhaps now using two names before he is in the danger of being stabbed might chase the Nazgul off for good.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote