View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #838
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
"Ah, Ginna, I - you - I mean - don't hurt the m - I mean -"

The girl took no heed of Harreld's bumbling. Just the slightest movement of her hand, and justice would be served. Ginna knew it was not her responsibility, but they did not know what it was like to have their life entirely in the wrong hands. They did not feel the uncontrollable urge to fight back, life for life, the moment an opportunity came . . .

"Ginna, put the knife down. Do not harm him in your ire and become no better than he. My word is law here, and I will see that he is given a just punishment."

But what if he escaped? One of them had already done so. Better now that he was helpless, before he got the chance to regain with words the life he was about to lose . . .

"Ginna! Ginna Randvér's Daughter! Do as I say!"

I am not his daughter. Randvér's daughter would not have been easily subdued. Her father . . . her father would hear of this, and what would he think? Would he not be proud if she made up for her initial cowardice with this act of bravery?

She hesitantly looked up at Eodwine, keeping the knife in place. There was still a chance. One push, and all would be over for the outlaw. Surely Ginna's punishment would not be equal to the wrong she was about to commit.

"Ginna," Harreld spoke suddenly, "y- you don't really want to do that. Let me take you away from here."

Her eyes turned to the blacksmith, fully expecting to meet pity in his. There was none; as at first it was filled with concern, now to overflowing. Perhaps it was the confidence in his voice, perhaps even the fact that for the first time he had not turned red in speaking to her, but Harreld had won her over. Ginna slowly stood up, walked over to the Eorl, and placed the knife in his outstretched free hand.

Harreld approached her and, with more courage now, it seemed, again placed his arm about her. She was about to let him guide her back into the kitchen when a movement to her right, behind the tree, caught her attention. Ginna cast a smouldering glance at Rowenna.

"Lord," she said to Eodwine, "do not forget her."

Overcome suddenly with weariness, she suffered herself to be led away by Harreld, leaning heavily against him.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-25-2007 at 08:24 AM.