View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #832
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine wished he had more men at arms. Why did he have only two? Garwine and Thornden were good men, but these outlaws were pointing up the weakness of having only two. He had even had word from a couple young men from Meduseld who were interested: Théogud, Alwalda, and Finnas , each of them younger than Thornden, but worthy fellows. And they might not be enough either.

Some men were coming up the hallway, Garstan and Garwiné.

"Garwiné! I ordered you to stay by Rilef!"

"I'll do you more good here, my lord, punish me how you choose!"

Eodwine smiled between clenched teeth despite himself, actually relieved that Garwine had come. "To my side, then! And Garstan, I want you to guard that doorway with your life! By no means come nearer these rogues! You've saved my life enough already!"

"There, now, you rogues," said Eodwine, pleased. "We've doubled you. You've no chance of escape. Throw down your weapons and let the women go."

"Only to hang!" Ulric cursed. "I'll take as many of you down with me fighting as I can."

"Fight? Holding a woman as your shield? A more cowardly death I could not have named," Eodwine scoffed. He was tempted to mock them by challenging them to let the women go and fight to the death, but he overcame the fey urge and chose to see to the protection of his House instead. After all, these rogues would make some mistake and it would be their end.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-20-2007 at 03:08 AM.