View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #432
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine called Garstan and Stigend to him and told them to sit at a table in the Hall just off the kitchen. He left them talking together, hunting for Saeryn. It turned out that she was looking for him, with the new lad, Trystan, dogging her steps like an eager puppy. He gave the boy one quick, dismissive glance (he had seen him leering at Saeryn while gobbing on a wrinkled but still juicy apple (it being spring and not the season for ripe ones), and he had taken an instant disliking to the lad). Saeryn seemed to be a bit pinker in the cheeks than was her wont, which suggested things about her private thoughts toward this young pup that Eodwine did not like at all. He was feeling suddenly very, very protective, more so that he had in regard to Farahil the day before.

"I have been looking for you, Saeryn."

"And I you. This is Trystan," she gestured. "He has asked to work for room and board."

Eodwine eyed him again, remembering Léof's words of doubt. The boy had fear in his eyes. Did he fear all lords and masters? Why? Or had he marked Eodwine's dislike of him? No matter.

Eodwine wrinkled his nose: the boy stank. Did Saeryn not notice? Or did she choose not to notice? And why? But it gave Eodwine an idea: it was time for a test of this Trystan.

"The privies are getting full. Have him clean them out and take the filth to the Ravine."

Saeryn blanched, knowing that there was no worse chore to be found at the Mead Hall. "Lord?" she queried as if she could not believe her ears.

"The boy is filthy enough already. It will do no greater harm than for anyone else here." He looked straight at the lad, willing him to glance away from his stare; in moments he did. "Look at me, boy." The lad swallowed and met his eyes unwillingly, fear written in them clear. "Do this chore, lad, and you wil be well fed and roomed, and allowed to bathe. I charge no fee for room and board save loyalty and a man's good word. Prove your worth to me in this small task, and I will show you that at least my word is good as any bond."

Saeryn's mouth was hanging open and she was looking at Eodwine from beneath a lowering brow. At least she said no word from her anger; he would have to ask her what she had been angry about, though he could guess well enough.

"I'll have Garwine show Trystan where the privies are. I want you, Saeryn, to go to Kara and request breakfast for four to be brought out to you, me, Garstan, and Stigend. Planning the work to be done will be hungry work." She stood watching him yet, some kind of retort stalled on her saucy tongue.

He looked away from her to the lad. "Trystan, come with me." He did not wait for the lad to follow, but went toward the front door which was Garwine's usual outpost. The guard was there, and Eodwine told Garwine to show Trystan the privies. Only then did he turn around to see if the boy had followed, or if he had high-tailed it, rascally terrier that he seemed to be, far away from the Mead Hall.