View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 11:51 PM   #5
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil;738jEsghcA3552
Although I'm not sure how tempting that'd be. The advantage Aragorn has after decades of wandering is that he knows nowhere is safe. The temptation to run and let someone else deal with it might not be much of a temptation when you know how little time that'd leave you.
I agree that he'd not find running away very tempting.

Maybe if Galadriel offered the Havens and Arwen would then not have to choose a mortal life? He might find that tempting--it's one thing to sacrifice his own life. He's been doing that for decades with no thanks or rewards. But asking her to sacrifice elven immortality for him... that's difficult. So Galadriel could place that unexpected option before him.

Quote:
So perhaps the temptation has to go the other way: domineering kingship--perhaps even the Ring or some alliance with Sauron. Given Aragorn's arc in the later chapters of exercising Right Kingship, that might fit, though it's hard for me to say that it's quite right.
Another possibility in a similar vein of going towards conflict instead of away: what if she offered someone among the elves to guide Frodo to Mordor, so Aragorn could go to Minas Tirith as planned. That's tearing him apart and one reason they take the river instead of deciding.