View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #36
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post

The Estate's reaction - over-control to the point of absurdity over the areas it actually can control - therefore becomes more understandable.
Maybe its just old age.

Not joking - the older one gets the more one seeks control over one's little world. Sad part is that this book (I'm a quarter of the way through, & I admit its growing on me. I like the heroine, Cadence, & every appearance of Tolkien so far has been entirely 'respectful'. The author is clearly a fan. In other words, there is nothing in this book to get het up about & the action makes no sense. Like Wheelbarrows at Dawn its a little book from a small publisher, with not a smidgeon of malice in it & which if left unmentioned would have attained a small readership & then disappeared. All of which makes this action look petty-minded & reflects so badly on CT & the Estate that you just wish there had been someone around to deliver a good slap to the lot of them to try & knock some sense into them.

These incidents have done them no good at all. What is the point in banning a serious work of biography or a minor potboiler which just happens to have Tolkien as a character? Why even stir yourself to bother? This looks like nothing more than a case (as I've pointed up before) of CT/the Estate stomping around, waving a big stick & shouting 'Get orf my land!!!'. Frankly pathetic & they've made themselves a bit of a joke by doing so. Sadly, they've also done harm to a good few writers, which is not funny in the least. They could have displayed a bit of magnanimity & would have looked all the better for it.

Honestly, I can't go along with those who try & present CT/the Estate as the injured party - if you have a friend who's a nice quiet, friendly guy who gets into a punch up you will likely think the other party to blame. If, a few days later you hear he's been in another fight with a different person, you may still give him the benefit of the doubt, but if it goes on, one fight after another, & all with strangers, you will eventually have to stop thinking of him as an unlucky victim of violence & admit that the most likely explanation is that your friend is the one starting the trouble. And to me it looks like the CT/Estate is throwing its weight around - for no other reason than that its got weight to throw. If this kind of behaviour continues their reputation is going to be shot - a literary organisation that gets a reputation for banning books & dragging (or threatening to) other authors through the courts doesn't make friends.

And the result of these actions - even though in some of the cases they've gotten their way (& they may also succeed in getting this author/publisher to back down & give in) has been that some of us who have been their staunchest supporters have lost a lot of respect for them & now see them as litigious bullies. Which is probably not what they intended - I hope. But it does go to demonstrate that sometimes winning your fight can backfire. If they'd let these books alone we'd still feel as positive about them as in the past.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote