View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was another pre-film Legolas fan. It was the elves that captured my imagination though I liked other characters -it wasn't quite like the Leggy bopper frenzy. I must admit that I have long puzzled about Legolas' response to Galadriel's prophecy and Ang's explanation never occured. I just thought it was because the Silvan and Sindarin elves hadn't the same connection to Aman as the Noldor who had lived there and were Exiles returning home.

But while I agree that he would have waited the (to him) relatively short time for the sake of fellowship, isn't also possible that Gimli could only hope to be admitted to the undying lands when he is close to death, no matter what grace attached to him. Sam and Bilbo go there to die rather than to live. Frodo presumably lived long enough to be reunited with Sam but he is a little different - I think he effectively died to Middle Earth as a result of the attack on Weathertop - Gandalf notices the change and notes to himself that he might become like a vessel of light. It is not dissimilar to the description of Glorfindel, that preceded it living on "both sides" similtaneously.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote