View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Interesting and insightful post, Anguirel. I have known several people who liked Legolas best in the book long before the movies came out, and those were boys, too, so it's really not a Bloom-fan thing. I'm more of a hobbit liking person, so I the elves never quite caught my fancy, but I can understand your sentiments. I, too, love that part when Legolas shoots the Nazgul's steed. I've always liked this painting of that part. (I still don't know how to put a picture into the text.)

SlverGlass, I always assumed Legolas waited to leave until Aragorn died because of his ties to him on account of their fellowship. I think that although Tolkien did not describe in very great depth the comradeship between Aragorn and Legolas and Gimli, it was still there to a great extent. They would not leave him when he wanted to go through the Paths of the Dead, and they ran long leagues with him to save Merry and Pippin, and they fought battles together. All these trials and hardships and adventures are bound to bring a trio together, and while they might not become friends like Legolas and Gimli were able to be friends, on account of Aragorn being their leader, they still loved him. So, I feel that it was the loyalty to Aragorn that kept him in ME that long.

Good question and welcome to the Downs.

-- Foley