View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #66
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White-Hand Project resumes

So, Legate and I wanted to do a reread and cbc commentary... back in 2016. I managed to do six chapters. Today, almost six years later, I decided to resume the project. So bear with me as I reanimate these threads one by one (hopefully I'll get at least to the end of FotR this time). I might not have any great insights but I'll comment on whatever caught my attention this time!

So, In the House of Tom Bombadil. Never a favourite of mine, but a harmless, short chapter that has a couple of intriguing elements. I always loved the Narrator's description of Tom's stories about the lost kingdoms of Arnor and how time passed them by. I also think this chapter perfectly conveys a peaceful rainy day mood when you don't have to do anything - or perhaps at most some household chores you've been putting off, such as cleaning or laundry. Everyone's dreams and Tom and Goldberry's warding wishes for the night are very atmospheric too.

I also read the thread and noticed people paying attention to the same things as I did this time - the vegetarian menu, Goldberry and Tom's control of the rain etc - but I was also delighted to find very interesting discussion in the beginning of this thread on Goldberry and her relationship with Tom. What stood out to me this time was how the description of Tom first seeing Goldberry sounded very familiar. Tolkien was certainly fond of romantic first meetings in the forest - Thingol and Melian, Beren and Lúthien, Aragorn and Arwen... and Tom and Goldberry.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote