View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #51
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I think you'd be right about loving Faramir more for his rumour than his deeds if you're referring to Pippin. If you're referring to us, the readers, then I think you have to take into account that we've already met him in Book IV and have a pretty favourable impression of him from there--both because of his actions to Frodo but also because those actions are deliberately contrasted there favourably against Boromir.
I would argue that in book IV we see Faramir as an individual. Here, we see Faramir as a leader, a commander, a political figure. We might have liked him as an individual (especially compared to Boromir, as you said), but in this chapter we see him as a trustworthy and loved commander, and inspiring figure, a person who balances opposing Denethor but simultaneously trying to gain his notice. Though we have seen a battle in Book IV, we haven't seen much of Faramir's role in it, and now we get to see more of that.