View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #49
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To add a quick point to a long discussion [which I admittedly haven't read yet]:

This chapter highlights the importance of other characters' opinions in forming our own. We learn to love Faramir more from his reputation than his own deeds. This process started in Minas Tirith with Beregond's devoted attitude, and continues here with more from Beregond and love and love and admiration from soldiers and citizens alike. And hearing and seeing such a devoted response and a positive reflection, you end up loving the guy yourself.

A phrase that particularly sticks with me is "he can master both beasts and men" - to be echoed later in the chapter as "he can govern man and beast". This is the description which I associate best with Faramir and by which I would describe him. This is the Aragorn in him - perhaps some Elvish blood but more so his steadfast will and courage, enough of it to go around the men and the beasts. His presence is not bright but it is very steady. Unfortunately his strength is not bottomless, and as the more he shares and the more it is drained the less he has for himself. It is astounding though how much he could accomplish before running out though.