View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
I'm always struck in this chapter by how little Merry and Pippin seem to have learned from their journeys in comparison: you'd think that they'd know how empty bravado is, and yet they undertake a battle with light hearts.
I wouldn't say that they learned little - they learned a great deal! However, most of what they learned just flew out of their heads after the "world crisis" came to an end. Frodo's change was much more permanent - to such extent that he actually leaves ME.

Jack London said in one of his books that harsh or extreme conditions bring out the best in some people and the worst in others. We see hobbits on Sharkey's side, like Ted S., but we also see Lobelia act as a hero. And she "breaks" when she's rescued by Frodo, repents, and passes out of his life on very good terms. I found it a bit surprising, but, like Gandalf said, you can study hobbits for a month and know them, but after years they will surprise you immensely. You can't "know" hobbits.

We see the full extent of Frodo's wisdom when he says, "It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will gain nothing". This line is especially meaningful because Saruman replies "You have grown, halfling". Even though his last hope (if you can call it that) is shattered by Frodo, he admits that he admires his actions, and admits that he is shocked at what happened to the simple hobbit. Frodo also shows pity towards Saruman and Grima, and that last straw did it. Saruman makes evil so that it would cause hatred amongst the ‘good guys’, but that doesn’t work with Frodo, since he forgives Saruman. His hatred recoiled back on him. I guess that at that time Saruman has nothing to lose, so he might as well kill Frodo – the causer of his misfortunes. This makes Frodo pity him even more, because he fell even lower (as low as to unexpectedly stab a hobbit).

Frodo awoke the Smeagol in Gollum. The same way with his words he awoke the last human part of Wormtongue. Unfortunately, with the “human part” also came human hate, which caused him to run like a mad person and kill Saruman. I feel sorry for both of them in the book (but I’m not sure I would have acted the same as Frodo in RL).

Bergil: I don't think Saruman was trying to accomplish anything specific with his destruction - just the joy of destroying good and making evil. Saruman just wanted to strike all the 'good guys' in the most vulnerable spot.