View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
As I haven't read the manuscript, it's hard to say precisely why the estate would block it, but I can see one legitimate reason. The book may be ostensibly about Hillary, but if it was overly emphasizing his relationship with JRRT, ..... The estate's complaint may be one of misrepresentation, and is possibly legitimate. One would have to read the manuscript in order to know the truth, and as the public cannot make that judgment for itself at this time, the media can put whatever spin they like on the actions of the estate.
Even if that were the case I don't think that it was misrepresentation. No offence to Hilary who was no doubt a fine and decent man but there would almost certainly no book (other than perhaps a private family memoir) were he not JRRT's brother. There have been cases here where a sibling relationship has been exploited for a book and the "celebrity" has had to tolerate it and I really can't see how the estate can block the publication of Hilary's family reminiscences about Uncle Ronald (or whatever they called him) even if they now hate any aspect of JRRT's private life emerging into the public domain. I usually am the first to defend the estate against all comers but I am baffled about this.

I can't believe that the book was so scandalous but you can't but wonder. I can't help thinking that this would have had a very limited circulation of fairly devoted fans at £30 a pop had they left well alone.

What on earth was it that was so problematic

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote