Thread: LotR - Foreword
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #103
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, it is with this foreword as with most forewords: they contain hints that I can only fully understand after having read the book.

Perhaps forewords should begin like the introduction Tolkien started to write for "The Golden Key" : "DON'T READ THIS! Not yet."
(And he even continued to say: "I never read what are called "introductions" to tales, "fairy" or not."!)

The sentence "As for any inner meaning or "message", it has in the intention of the author none." is often quoted, but may be misunderstood , if one doesn’t add Tolkien’s words about applicability and the freedom of the reader.
Perhaps Philip Pullman's harsh judgement of LotR ("just fancy spun candy") is influenced by this? (I don't believe he's ever reread the book itself as an adult!)

I do like the foreword to the first edition better, I'm so grateful that Squatter posted it here. Where else but in the Downs would one be able to find such gems?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Legate of Amon Lanc:
Exactly, I definitely thought about it, and mainly, I don't know, I would have to check, but the words "as the story grew it put down roots (into the past) and threw out unexpected branches" are (almost?) word-to-word (the "threw out unexpected branches" part) the same as in one place of the Leaf by Niggle, at least in Czech translation of both.
for the exact words see my post #93 in this thread.

As for how Tolkien's life was in wartime, some of his letters to Christopher (and others) are quite informative.