View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden was pleased that he had found something for Javan to do so quickly. He reminded himself almost at once, though, that this was only a trial. If Javan didn’t work well in the stables, Thornden would have to think of another position the boy might take. He smiled a little at the thought. Javan would most certainly be very disappointed if it came to that.

“Don’t think of it,” he told himself softly. “Not yet, anyway. There are seven days yet before that decision is to be made and there are other problems at hand to be considered. Lys, for instance,” he realized suddenly as his eye fell on the boy. Thornden had just re-entered the hall and he saw Lys sitting by himself at the table.

Thornden knit his brows in thought and paused in the doorway. He looked closely at Lys and considered both his abilities and his inabilities. His body was frail, and the frail body was mending after being badly broken. Perhaps it was frail only because of how badly it had been battered. Perhaps if half his bones hadn’t been broken he would have been no different than Léof. But all that was simply speculation, Thornden told himself reprovingly. He walked forward and approached Lys.

“Good morning, Lys,” Thornden said, sliding into a seat beside the lad. “Have you eaten breakfast?”

Lys glanced up and gave him a smile. “Yes, I have just finished,” he replied.

“Good,” Thornden said, nodding. He looked down and there was a short pause. “Lys, I haven’t thought of anything for you to do. I know that you are worried that nothing will be found for you to do, and I know that I’ve told you not to worry about it, and you shouldn’t worry about it, either, but it will take some consideration to think of something for you to do. Have you any idea of what you can do?” He was tempted to ask what Lys had done before he was hurt, but Thornden figured that would be more of a hindrance than a help. “Is there anything you think you would like to do?”

--
Taralphiel's Post

Lys chewed on his lip, eyes downcast as he thought on the question. He knew so little about himself, and the thoughts of his possible physical uses were inhibited in part, if not all, but the limp he still carried. He needed strength, but if was to ever come, it would do so with more time. Hrethel was a patient man for good reason. He could not remember any skills he once had…and so it would be left to him…to start over. Just as his sudden start in a dark alley had left the rest of him.

“Thornden…I should like…to learn. I do not know what I am good at. I do not know what…I enjoy. I know I enjoy spending time with you, and Javan and Léof. But I do not think those things would make up skill…” Lys laughed a little and looked up at Thornden.

“I heard…in passing from some of the children…that there are classes. Do you think I’d be able to try to learn? I am much older…but I do not know what I may have once known…”

Last edited by Folwren; 03-05-2007 at 09:42 AM.