View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #148
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
Provided there is still interest, I'm about ready to start the Silmarillion chapter by chapter discussion. I aim to have the Ainulindale intro up and the discussion started this weekend (i.e. September 9 - 10).

2. I wish to encourage, in addition to direct discussion of the chapter as found in the published Silmarillion, discussion of the history of each tale (i.e. of related material in UT and HoMe). But I certainly don't want to frighten off readers unfamiliar with the additional material. I plan to include a list of references in UT and HoMe for each chapter, and also to give a short introductory note on the textual evolution of each chapter. Does this sound like a good idea or might it be too intimidating?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Good to hear you will be doing this, Aiwendil.

I'm looking forward to following this discussion, if not joining in. I think a longer period of time might be suitable, but a period longer than two weeks for each section under discussion might be at risk of losing people, as once they've posted their main ideas, they might lose the habit of keeping up, so to speak. Brisk moving threads seem to keep people interested--as long as they aren't too fast! Sub-division a good idea.

I don't think including reference from UT and HoMe would be intimidating. Boring maybe, but not intimidating.