View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #922
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
The way I understand Rohan, there's not really much wood to be found there... maybe if you get up into the White Mountains? But I see it as mostly rolling plains - farmland, pastureland, etc.
In general... that was my first thought too...

But, seeing as I live on the edge of the Great Plains, I think I can confidantly say that while most of the lands NORTH of Edoras wouldn't be forested (just groves along the streams and the like), to the SOUTH of Edoras, there would likely be a forested area between the mountains and the plains. On the assumption that the White Mountains are anything like the Rockies (with which I am well familiar) there should be a good, thick forest (coniferous?) between the edge of the plain and the bare heights.

Mind you, though, the Rohirrim have been dwelling in the dales of the White Mountains for five hundred years, and the Gondorrim and proto-Dunlendings before them. But the foothills of the mountains, it seems to me, would likely be more than a little forested.

Also, as Edoras is located in the dales of the White Mountains, it is highly possible that Eodwine, who has shares in the farmlands about the city (which would most likely be towards the north), would also have portions of the forested areas to the south.

At least, that's MY take on the matter.