View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #688
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
EGADS!

You people could give a guy a heartattack!

Seriously... go away for three days and things just blow up... still calming down... breath, Michael, breath!

*breathes*

*breathes*

*breathes*

Okay, I think I'm back under control... Really, you people are too natural of Roleplayers- your serious discussions and queries and complaints turn into dramatic confrontations...

To weigh in, belatedly, with my personal opinions on the matter- I like jumping ahead in time, a week or three to a gap. It gives a greater feeling of permanence and real life than the belatedly long day-by-day version used in the Green Dragon. It is more condusive to longterm storytelling, which I think is what LMP is really looking for.

However, I have to go middle-of-the-roadish with Firefoot and others. Jumping ahead is good. Trying to keep pace with the course of the real life year maybe not so much... It's a good IDEA, I'll grant- but an inherently difficult one.

I may be a rather new RPGer on the 'Downs, but I come of an RPGing pedigree elsewhere, and of the 'Downsian RPGs, the Eorling Mead Hall's timeframe is the most similar to the one of my credentials. So I know from experience that while static characters (those with little or no development to worry about, however interesting they are) do well in a parallel-real life timeframe, developing characters do not.

Or, at least, it becomes a rather different adventure to demonstrate the growth and change in quite the same way.

Now, when I signed up with Náin, it was with both eyes open, and a full view of how things ran in the Mead Hall. The rules, as they stand, satisfy me well enough. I'd rather work around things than change them, being the sort of person that I am.

If, however, LMP decides to bow to the will of the Commons, and change up the timescheme, then I want to make it known that I like the jumping ahead by days/weeks. If we were to jump ahead a week/fortnight every time we jumped, that would be fine with me. If that means that when Christmas rolls around and we are still in Midsummer, well, that's fine with me too.

P.S: Jumping away from the great matters to those of finer detail: I am assuming that Eodwine will not be calling Náin to any sort of account at the court- seeing how thats sort of how I wrote it. But if there IS some sort of a plan regarding him... best let me know so that it's not a complete surprise.