View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #652
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm sorry, LMP, I know you're fond of it...but this time-jump thing is an abysmal blockade and I'm frustrated with working against it, for several reasons, and these are a major factor in why my post for Marenil is a long time coming. You can call it a limitation of the form if you please, but if I wanted to write haiku, I would. Here, I will:

Elempi's time jumps
mean my characters are not
people whom I know.

Or another:

If I have a plan
that is my own, I must weave
a separate tale.

Here's one:

What happens next day?
Elempi informs me it
has no importance.

There is a major difference between a format and a stumbling block. A format is just that, a form, within which infinite creativity is possible. Poetry in rhyme and meter is not a stumbling block, it is a form. I can say what I wish, it's a matter of phrasing.

Your belief that children's books require shorter chapters is an insult to all the children who read Harry Potter, not to mention all the people here who refused to adhere to such restrictive ideas of their capabilities.

I am having a hard time writing with my characters because I do not know what happens to them. I can not say how Lin has grown and changed because I don't know. That story isn't done yet, and your "problems of form" mean I can't start my own storylines in this Hall. There are characters with which I cannot interact without ruining what I wished to be surprises in my own storyline. I cannot make any further plans, because I have no way of knowing when you will skip time ahead nor how far you will do so.

Yes, this is a rant. I am irritated and frustrated. Please do not belittle my frustrations by telling yourself you've created a great "challenge" for us writers. It's not challenging, it's annoying.

Feelings expressed may not be the shared opinion of anyone other than myself. You'd have to ask others.