View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #433
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
I'm not sure the analogy needs to be changed. It's all about voice: the analogy was not a thought of Lin's, it was part of my own narrative aimed at you all, not at any of the characters. I think such an anachronistic analogy on the part of the narrator could even be described as canon; Tolkien compares Gandalf's fireworks to an express train.
Yes, but I want to challenge you to try to find something Gondorian/Dol Amrothian anyway. Or maybe Rohirric. It would aid the sense of place in a way tips of icebergs doesn't.

Is Lin's keeping any eye on anything Degas admires including others of the fairer sex? Ah, I see Feanor's and my minds work alike.

Folwren, perhaps something like this. "Eorl Eodwine is eager to have you as guest at the Mead Hall, and when you come he will be honored to grant you a boon as a token of his high regard for you and your house." Or something to that effect. Maybe that's a bit flyin' up there falutin', but it gets across my general thought.

Or what Jenny said.