View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #25
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well indeed do children decry bitterly the passing of parents as a loss and even a betrayal. Yet such feelings can themselves be deemed selfishness.

There are stages to death and dying and there comes a time when not all the love in this world suffices and those we would hold dear turn away from us and are ready to move on. This is a psychological reality of our species and it is a bitter, bitter lesson. As Charlotte Bronte said of Emily Bronte's passing, "She made haste to leave us."

And it is this aspect of our human existence which Tolkien chose to memorialize the choice of Arwen, whose passing speaks poignantly of the invisibility of women's contribution throughout most recorded history.

Edit: Then again, I could just quote Lou Reed here. "I've come to hate my body, and all that it requires in this world."

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]