View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
This is a difficult chapter for me to get through, probably because it's somewhat like 'The Council of Elrond' in FOTR: structurally, really really important because it ties up loose ends and sets up so much of the remainder of the book...but I don't seem to be as engaged in this chapter as I am in most of the rest of LOTR.

I'll take up Davem's challenge and focus on the debate between the Captains about the next step. The thing I find most interesting here is the choice in front of them. As Gandalf says,
Quote:
This war then is without final hope, as Denethor perceived...You have only a choice of evils;
Interestingly, the first reaction to Gandalf's speech is from Prince Imrahil, and he is not happy with what he thinks Gandalf is saying:
Quote:
Then would you have us retreat to Minas Tirith, or Dol Amroth, or to Dunharrow, and sit there like children on sand-castles when the tide is flowing?
I've always wondered if he's unhappy because he would rather go out and face Mordor rather than hiding behind his walls and being perceived as a coward, or if he himself recognizes the importance of buying time for the Ringbearer.

Another thing I've noticed about this chapter is that even if the Ringbearer succeeds, Sauron will not be completely destroyed.
Quote:
If it [the Ring] is destroyed, then he will fall; and his fall will be so low that none can forsee his arising ever again. For he will lose the best part of the strength that was native to him in his beginning, and all that was made or begun with that power will crumble, and he will be maimed forever, becoming a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape. And so a great evil of this world will be removed.
Hmmm, falling past the point of rising again...losing the best part of his strength, along with the things made with it...being maimed forever. But *not* being utterly destroyed. Is this because of Sauron's origins as a Maia? And come to think of it, Morgoth the Vala wasn't destroyed either! Eru cast him into the Void beyond the doors of the world, but didn't kill him. He's still out there somewhere...

Sauron after the fall of Barad Dur: "I'm not dead yet!"