View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 AM   #34
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Obsession with numbers...

SpM, seeing as it is a latest fashion on the Downs to undertake statistacal research, I suggest that you add a poll to the thread.

It will be selective, of course, as knowledge of English is probaly the main requirement for BD membership, and great number of people this thread inquires upon read LoTR in their own languages, still many more are denied the pleasure as Tolkien’s works are not yet translated into their native tongues, but, given our considerable numbers, it will still give approximate picture, even if a bit lopsided due to prevalence of Englishmen and Americans. But, apart from that apparent lead, the rest of the world will be presented more or less accurately, I suppose.

As the poll facility only gives 10 option choice, and as, following Samuel P. Huntington, I too hold that cultural confrontation of modern times leaves the borders of national state and ethnicity and moves to wider scale of confessional opposition, I further suggest that the poll will be conducted by religious confession membership. Just, as such information may be considered private and confidential, do not make the poll public, so we’ll see numbers but not who believes what.

Par example:

Quote:
Are you:

1. Atheist
2. Buddhist
3. Christian (Catholic)
4. Christian (Eastern Orthodox)
5. Christian (Protestant)
6. Jew
7. Hinduist
8. Muslim (Shia’)
9. Muslim (Sunni)
10. Other
(The list is in alphabetical order)

If you find the poll does not correspond with the goal of the thread, I can make a special thread for it (with moderating team’s permission, of course)

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote