View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #24
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

davem, I see that what we have here is yet another problem with the 'meaning' of the books. Frankly, I never thought there would be another way of reading Ghân's and Théoden's conversation; it only occured to me when I read your post, and then I was surprised that there is actually a different point of view to the whole thing. Maybe part of the reason I was locked into my interpretation of the text is that I never really considered that Wild-Men-hunter nature of the Rohirrim that Ghân hinted at. Please accept my gratitude for giving me a new perspective.

But if I could defend myself, my understanding came from the context of the course of their conversation.

The first thing we have heard from Ghân (through Merry) implies that the Rohirrim requested the Wild Men to fight with them.
Quote:
'No, father of Horse-men,' he said, 'we fight not. Hunt only. Kill gorgûn in woods, hate orc-folk. You hate gorgûn too. We help as we can. (italics mine)
Quote:
'But our need is for aid in battle,' said Éomer. 'How will you and your folk help us?'
Quote:
'Bring news,' said the Wild Man... (again, emphasis mine)
Later, after the Rohirrim are informed of the gravity of the situation in Minas Tirith, Théoden and Éomer express alarm and some despair, to which Ghân says:
Quote:
'Let Ghân-buri-Ghân finish!' said the Wild Man. 'More than one road he knows. He will lead you by road where no pits are, no gorgûn walk, only Wild Men and beasts...Wild Men will show you that road.'
From this point on, I understood that Ghân was undoubtedly willing to help in any way he could - in fact, he seemed to be very eager to help considering how he brushed off Théoden's and Éomer's interruption. I thought that perhaps his eagerness was because the Wild Men would have this benefit if all goes well until the end:
Quote:
'Then you will kill gorgûn and and drive away bad dark with bright iron, and Wild Men can go back to sleep in the wild woods.' (emphasis mine)
Of course there's no sense accusing Ghân of self-centeredness at this; he was only declaring what they as a people can gain if the war is won. As far as he and the Wild Men are concerned, peace is the only reward for their help.

So Théoden 'receives their offer,' then comes the discussion of the terms of their agreement. Rohan offers a rich reward and its friendship if the Wild Men are faithful. Ghân refuses this and gives his terms: If Rohan survives the war, they are to 'leave Wild Men alone in the woods and not hunt them like beasts anymore.' And as if to somehow guarantee his faithfulness despite the absence of a reward, Ghân says that he himself will go with the king, and gives them the right to kill him if he proves unfaithful. Rohan accepts this.

The idea I get from this whole conversation is that Ghân still bears the pain of his people being hunted down like beasts, yet he is willing to forget the offense for the sake of Middle Earth. It seems to me, then, that the Wild Men are more civilized than I would care to think.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote