View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 AM   #9
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril Not that I'm inciting arguments, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
In this chapter, Denethor is often shown as heartless, and somewhat foolish to a reader who has known Gandalf for four books, in that he doesn't follow his advice, but he is shown, all the same as both sane and actively involved in the defence of his city. He may be a pessimist, but he hasn't stopped fighting.
While I agree that Denethor still does his part in the defense of Gondor in this chapter, I'm not quite sure about him actively doing so. Being active in something is digging right into it, not minding the discomfort or the pain. What has Denethor done? Debate with Gandalf, engage in a staring contest with him , 'slave-drive' his son, sit in a meeting with other leaders, ask questions, express opinions. As far as I understand, he was not active. He could still wield a sword, and he has one, doesn't he? Why not step into the battlefield? I think in some ways this could show his cowardice - he hides behind his soldiers and lets them do all the dirty work. Definitely not the characteristic of a fighter.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-21-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote