View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 AM   #14
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A final go at the chapter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
Although Gollum might have heard what Frodo said his dark side of his nature was taking over again. This dark side might have made Gollum twist Frodo's words. Or he also could have decided that he would forget these words since they would only complicate the desicion of taking the hobbits to Shelob or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
This goes for me as well, that Frodo had some sort of wisdom or special understanding pertaining to Gollem. He paid heed to Gandalf's advice about Gollem and, listening and watching, came to accept something about their relationship.
Thinking some more about what Frodo's words revealed about the relationship, I think it shows that Frodo views Gollum ultimately as a useful tool, a 'resource' (to use vile management language) in achieving his end, his goal. To Sam and Faramir, he must outwardly seem as though he is thoroughly compassionate about Gollum, and he does this by drawing attention to the fact that Gollum has also been a Ring Bearer, that they have shared this burden, and that Frodo could one day be like Gollum. He plays on their sympathies. He has to do this as they simply would not see why Frodo would want to make practical use of Gollum's skill and knowledge; they would tell Frodo he had chosen the wrong person for the job, and Faramir may even kill Gollum.

Frodo can see something in Gollum that the others cannot, but whether it is something spiritual in nature I am not altogether convinced; I think that the way Frodo spoke in Gollum's presence reveals something much more hard edged about his relationship with him. Frodo knows that only Gollum has the knowledge of the secret way into Mordor, and so he has to 'recruit' him for that reason, not out of pity. He certainly remembers and takes heed of Gandalf's words, but whether he also 'sees' the possible outcome, I am not entirely convinced.

And alas, he is not quite as perceptive and clever as he thinks he might be, as Gollum hides a tremendous secret in planning to take them through Shelob's lair. Gollum does well to keep quiet when Frodo speaks to Faramir about the blindfolds; here are two very clever characters each trying to use the other under the influence of the ring.